RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Er, stupid question, have spotlights - cant turn then on- new BECM?

I have always had RR spotlights since I've had my truck. They were always wired into existing switches but testing, I can't seem to remember how to turn them on.

I have just had the truck returned from getting a new BECM. I saw some thread that says you might need to configure something there?

I'm pretty sure they were wired to turn on when switching to full beam.

Any hints would be welcome, thanks.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Re: Er, stupid question, have spotlights - cant turn then on- new BECM?

Will need to look at the becm settings for the fog lights to see how they are supposed to turn on. IIRC there are @3 options in that box. Nothing to do with wiring per say, but the option selected in the becm.

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts

Are you talking about fog lights or spot lights?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

SPOT LIGHTS> OEM accessory, on the front nudge bar. The normal foglights (bottom of the bumper). work fie.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts

Adding your rigs model info may help out here. Auto diesels have fog lights so folks often add off road/spot lights and use the factory fog wiring set up by having the fog lights activated in the BeCM. It's very possible that the new BeCM was not clones but manually programmed and this feature was missed. If it's a bodged custom job like mine you are on your own. I have both fogs and spots from Special Vehicles so I have three fog switches on the dash. No schematics exist for my odd ball set up. I'd start at the bulbs or at the switch and start tracing wires with a multi meter.

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts

Gotta love a good cross post.

The "factory" spot kit usually mounts relays next to the battery. It;s possible that a power or trigger wire has come loose from one of hte relays while diconnecting and connecting the battery.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts

Oops, sorry.
My spot lights turn on with headlights, on high beam, and the front fog lights switch pushed in. So in low beam, it's the fog lights in the bumper, and on high beam it's the spots on the bull bar, when the button for front fogs is switched on.

Martin

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

In the UK the spotlights should come on with main beam if it has been wired correctly.

When I fitted mine I used the factory wiring kit and picked up the "on signal" from the RH headlight main beam via a relay as mentioned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks all. I have a few hints. I am bad with electrics though I sometimes play with a multi-meter.

My version is an HSE 4.6 1995/6.

Nothing has changed except I have a new BECM- I had a constantly draining battery which turned out to be a broken BECM. It apparently did need some programming/setting up.

Love affair has been severely tested.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

Thinking about it, they would have disconnected the battery to change the BECM.

The spot light wiring takes a +ve supply from the battery to the relay so I would check your battery +ve terminal to see if the wire has been re connected. Alternatively the inline fuse could have blown.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks. I know the wire and fuse you describe. Didn't know what it was for previously, though it is an obvious extra.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts

RRToadHall wrote:

The "factory" spot kit usually mounts relays next to the battery. It;s possible that a power or trigger wire has come loose from one of hte relays while diconnecting and connecting the battery.
Apologies. I seem to have written the same thing. I should read through the posts a bit more.:oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts