RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm beginning to truly loathe this EPB. Is it just my car or does the EPB just magically tighten up over time?

I have probably used my EPB a total of 5x in 65K. Now its binding up on one of my rear rotors again--burning smell, rotor hat is getting burnt.:doh: This is the third time this has happened. Works fine for 15K or so and then seems to tighten up. Wth?

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Sorry man. I have only touched the rear pads so I haven't had to deal with the EPB yet, but I typically use it once a month...

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
My EPB is empty at the moment...and althoug I have the replacement parts, I'm reluctant to get it fixed again. The funny thing was that actually I had such good use out of my last set of shoes, that eventually a piece of the shoe lininig fell off and started rattling. Took the thing apart and saw that really all the rest of the springs etc. needed cleaning, and lubricating, so I just took it off from both sides for the moment.

T-man - you missed your offroad activity this month - Gkwait and I had some fun at SCARR!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My EPB is empty at the moment...and althoug I have the replacement parts, I'm reluctant to get it fixed again. The funny thing was that actually I had such good use out of my last set of shoes, that eventually a piece of the shoe lininig fell off and started rattling. Took the thing apart and saw that really all the rest of the springs etc. needed cleaning, and lubricating, so I just took it off from both sides for the moment.
I'm seriously considering this.:think:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

T-man - you missed your offroad activity this month - Gkwait and I had some fun at SCARR!
PJP - I know. Gkwait told me. I was stuck in ATL till Saturday. I lost my money too since I paid for it. Did all that maintenance in preparation for it too.

Goosey, the EPB from what I was told will tighten itself to a max point when engaged. So possibly as a maintainece measure, folks may need to engage it once in a while to ensure it engages and dis-engages correctly. When I did my rotors, you could hearing it tightening \ engaging for a while till it pressed up against the new rotors and it would stop. SO the EPB i believe knows when to stop pushing on the rotors and how far to pull back when disengaged. Also, based on what PJP stated, it could be a good cleaning to ensure the springs works well since you hardly use it.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I guess I will have to start cycling it once in a while even if I am not using it.

The guy who works on my cars tells me that the EPB's on all the makes are nothing but trouble. Basically the OEM's took a manual system that worked fine for a century and made it needlessly complicated. And just about every one that comes in for a rear rotor change has excess dust in the pb mechanicals which he doesn't see on the mechanical systems. This is my first vehicle with an epb so I'm learning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts