RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, Is there anyway possible with this complex electrical system that we have on the 2006 RRS HSE, that an inactive/broken EPB actuator could throw a suspension error message - yellow or red? The error indicator is the vehicle with the arrows on both sides of it. Curious as lately I've been getting this message more and more recently and was initially inclined to think it was the new air compressor I installed last year, but all of that is up to date and working well. I've even replaced all 4 new ride height sensors with the latest models...but still getting the message. My local guy thought there was a temp sensor error message, but there's no removable temperature sensor on the new AMK air compressor. Car is at the dealer, the message they are seeing is that the EPB is contributing to this. I'm somewhat open to the idea, although not totally convinced, but given that replacing a rear brake bulb with the wrong kind can throw an electrical error, I'm not inclined to discount it completely given how complex the system is. Thoughts or other ideas? The only other clue here is that almost w/o fail, every time I'd go and get an alignment in the last 2-3 years (3-4 times due to the potholes) and inability of NTB to do it right, so I took it to Firestone, almost immediately thereafter I'd get a yellow suspension error message. Now...I can clear all of these with my GAP tool, but a recurring Red Suspension error message is problematic, particularly given another upcoming trip to the mountains.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Does GAP give you the fault codes? Do you have Dynamic Response/front Brembo brakes?

The temp sensor is a little tricky with this, as the incorrect software(what is for the Hitachi unit) will cause this when an AMK is installed. The AMK has no external temp monitoring, it's self controlled. So, if you're getting temp sensor faults, chances are you have the incorrect software installed(it can be up to date, but for the wrong unit) and this might be your entire issue with the EAS.

Now to the EPB. The only way that I see this, is if it is causing several other things as well. The EPB is a pass-through for the HS CAN, so an issue with it(or its wiring) will cause EAS issues, but that would be the least of your concerns. Also, the EPB contains a accelerometer that is used by other systems, but again, there would be ABS issues with this as well.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Dave...thanks for the thoughtful reply. No Dynamic Response and no Brembo's...just the standard HSE non S/C version here so standard size brakes. I'll have to pull the codes again...the one I recall was "Lost communication with the xxx", but I don't recall a specific other code beyond that for the suspension module. Definitely no ABS issues occurring at all, in fact, no other error messages at all, other than the suspension symbol. Let me check again. I'll have them check to make sure the software is the correct one for the AMK unit...since it's at the dealer now, they should be able to do that. Their diagnosis this afternoon was that the EPB cannot be causing the suspension issue...so they've gone back on that initial proposal. Much cheaper if it turns out just to be a new compressor, although I did buy it only 15 months ago, so I find it hard to believe that it's failed in that short time period already.

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I have not seen one of the AMK compressors fail yet, well, one of the retrofit ones, there were some issues on the early factory fit ones, but those were on +11 my vehicles.

They probably will want to just reflash the EAS with the correct software, as opposed to checking it vs which unit, which is actually far more difficult then it should be, and the labor charge should be about the same either way.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They've agreed to do that...they'll load the software in the morning and we'll see if that solves the issue. Luckily they actually have a HW unit available and in stock in case this unit has in fact failed, which I doubt as well...it's very silent and fills quite efficiently, so hoping it's a software glitch! Good thing at least, I don't have to spend the $$$$ to replace the funky EPB, this would be the 3rd replacement and I've simply gotten used to not having an EPB anymore. Thanks again Dave! :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Paul, I need to double check when I have a minute, but I am almost positive that the latest released firmware for IIDTool also includes the capability of reflashing the EAS module with either Hitachi or AMK patch files.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, I need to double check when I have a minute, but I am almost positive that the latest released firmware for IIDTool also includes the capability of reflashing the EAS module with either Hitachi or AMK patch files.
Thanks Umberto...I do need to update my module as well...haven't done that yet. The dealer tells me this morning that it did have the correct updated AMK software, so now they are going to replace the compressor and see if that solves the issue. I hope so...I'm in countdown mode...10 days to Telluride! But that does make me wonder, could the GAP tool be a source for those of us to get all TSB's perhaps?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the dealer has confirmed they have installed the correct AMK software, now more errors appear, car on bump stops now. Seems to be going in the wrong direction here this afternoon, so it's off to talk with them in the morning and see what the plan is next. Never had any major issues with EAS before now...an occasional ride height sensor, but it's just had all 4 new ride height sensors installed....maybe all of this is just software related. Hope the techs know what to do next...or I'll be renting an F-150 to head to Colorado instead of my beloved RRS!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer says they have fixed it with a reflash of the EAS software and a ride height calibration. About to pick it up and find out if all is good. If so...the Blue Mule will be crawling around Black Bear, Imogene, Ophir and the Alpine Loop in a couple weeks again! :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Victory! Fresh AMK Software flash, along with all new ride height sensors calibrated...and everything is back to normal! 1 week to Telluride/Ouray/Durango towing the Moto Guzzi for a week of mountain fun and a few fun trails thrown in for good measure! Hoping to do the Alpine Loop again this time to Lake City and surrounding areas. Just for fun...I might post a few pictures from time to time! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts