Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Enjoyed it folks, sold (gave away) my 2004. 2012 Tahoe replaced it.

It conked out on my bride & she said it was time to go. we bought it 3 yrs ago 2004 RR with 42k miles. We sold to dealer for $11k with 92k miles.

I replaced the following in 3 years:
radiator, water pump, all coolant hoses, final stage resistor, brakes, rotors, PCV valve, PCV hoses, fuel pump, tires, coolant tank, drivers door handle cable, thermostat, crankcase position sensor, and the recall on front end gearbox or whatever (dealer did that).

I love the car, but it is a needy vehicle. Word to the wise - be prepared to service it to keep it rolling. It stranded us 3x since November (coolant hose busted - the little one in back of engine, fuel pump died, CPS went) and it was time to move on.

A big THANKS to all the folks who helped me during my work on this vehicle. I enjoy the work, but don't have the time anymore. Hope the tahoe keeps going for a while.

Good Luck & ATB,
RedTarpon

·
Registered
256 Posts
Re: Enjoyed it folks, sold (gave away) my 2004. 2012 Tahoe replaced it.

Range Rover - Best 4x4xFar LOL

I think Ford has always been in the back ground of these cars FIX OR REPAIR DAILY.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Range Rover - Best 4x4xFar LOL

I think Ford has always been in the back ground of these cars FIX OR REPAIR DAILY.
I assure you the Ford part is the least of the contributing factors. They completely overhauled Jaguar from the utter rubbish that it was before their ownership and then installed those powertrain components in the later RR that puts ours to shame.

11 was definitely low, I *tentatively* sold my one year older '03 with 113k for 13000. I say tentatively because with these trucks any prospective buyer has to be a REAL enthusiast, and hopefully he won't get cold feet before picking it up. I have a couple of other buyers lined up, but it wouldn't surprise me if ALL of them disappeared.

·
Registered
405 Posts

My 09 HSE has gone 65k miles with no issues and before that I had an 08 (RIP) with no issues. I asked the head of service at my local dealer and a LR service rep why my newer Rovers were so much better than my older 04 which had problems from the get go. Their response was Ford redesigned the BMW problem areas and whipped up on the suppliers. I understand there are a lot of BMW fans here and I personally have owned many BMWs starting in 1982 up until my last 2010 M3 so I am also a fan however the Ford Rovers in general are a much better vehicle.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Very true! I have put over 100,000KM's on an 06 SC, and I have ONLY replaced maintenance items! Funny, but its been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.... (knocks on wood!)

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
523 Posts

same here, just turned 100K (miles) on my 05 and only replaced maint items (so far!). Other than the 930, this has by far been the most reliable car/truck I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
361 Posts

It seems odd that a general motors product was chosen if reliability was the main goal.

·
Registered
138 Posts

It seems odd that a general motors product was chosen if reliability was the main goal.
Does it? Leaving various OTHER GM foibles and brands out of the equation (since he did buy a truck), my Escalade is faultless, as have been the other 3 or 4 I've owned. In fact, the Escalades are so reliable and relatively uninteresting, they are almost as boring as Lexuses. Even then, my 2000 LX470 had more issues than any of my Escalades. Reliability actually came DOWN slightly from my previous GMT800 Escalades, but this one never needs anything. Even if it wasn't... you can put a Tahoe back together with duct tape and bailing wire. It's a simple OHV RWD design with nothing terribly fancy or expensive to fix. My Grand Cherokees on the other hand... ;)

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts

Those of you who have never had an issue with your rover, have you ever taken it off road? I don't understand how everything works great for 80K miles if the rover hasn't been used for anything off road.

I have spent a couple of grand just on repairing the bloody paint after some off road excursions.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
523 Posts

Those of you who have never had an issue with your rover, have you ever taken it off road? I don't understand how everything works great for 80K miles if the rover hasn't been used for anything off road.

I have spent a couple of grand just on repairing the bloody paint after some off road excursions.
i don't run in to things off road.

·
Registered
256 Posts

My Dad said if you are going to drive a car you need to know how to fix it and that goes for owning one as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts