RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks,

This is my first time posting but have always came here first to check out problems and solutions for my RR Autobiography.

This morning after taking daughter to school I was home for about an hour. When I tried to leave I got the “smart key not found” I replaced the battery in the fob, and still no luck. I searched here and unplugged the positive terminal to battery for over 2 minutes, no dice. I removed fuse 17 from behind glove compartment, no dice.

I did a hard reset on the battery and still no luck. It sounds like it is trying to crank and all the lights flash inside car but it won’t turn over. All other functions when “on” work as windows, radio, AC, etc

Please see the video below

Does this sound like it could be the fuel pump or starter? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much for your time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, as a heads up, I tried to jump it with a battery tender and used voltage meter and it read 12.55v

I tried putting the fob under the steering column and it did the same thing as well.

However, My wife just told me the other day when driving home the whole dash console went black for the last 5 minutes she was driving but the radio and AC were working fine. Could this be an electrical wiring issue?

·
Registered
107 Posts
How old is the battery? Did you check voltage whilst running at the battery/alternator? When the battery is checking-out, all kinds of funky stuff can happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m not sure how old the battery is. While I had the cables unplugged during the hard reset I used voltage meter and it was reading 12.55vs but as I can’t get it to turn over and start I’m not sure what it is while running.

Do you think leaving the tender on it at a manual 2amp overnight trickle charge might at least tell tomorrow if it is the battery or not if I can get it to turn over?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, and it makes a click like it’s trying to turn over but only rapid little clicks. I’m going to try and deep cycle charge the battery overnight and see if it will turn over tomorrow morning and at least know it needs a battery if so

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, and it makes a click like it’s trying to turn over but only rapid little clicks. I’m going to try and deep cycle charge the battery overnight and see if it will turn over tomorrow morning and at least know it needs a battery if so
Voltage/voltage drop issue. Despite some other makes, with key starts, exhibiting this at about 11 volts of charge, this is a bit odd to be occurring at 12.55 volts.

I’m speculating the current demand is causing the voltage to drop (weak battery), or the battery is good but there is oxidation on the terminals or where they connect.

1.) Clean your battery cables, battery posts, and try to follow where they terminate on the other end. Loosen/re-tighten those connectors, too.

2.) Only then admit defeat and replace battery.

3.) Only then start to panic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m not sure how old the battery is. While I had the cables unplugged during the hard reset I used voltage meter and it was reading 12.55vs but as I can’t get it to turn over and start I’m not sure what it is while running.

Do you think leaving the tender on it at a manual 2amp overnight trickle charge might at least tell tomorrow if it is the battery or not if I can get it to turn over?
You can try using the trickle charge of the tender, however, if one/some battery cells are dead, it will not help. I agree with all other advice to clean, loosen/tighten battery connectors and terminals, charge the battery, if all else fails replace the battery with Bosch, Interstate, Odyssey or other quality battery and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roger that, and thanks much for all the replies! What a great community you all have here. I’m been sniffing around for awhile but never laid anything down until this first post. Thanks to you all I have done all my own oil change, transmission fluid change (that was a bitch having to fill from underneath car until it overflows and out not having a professional lift) and did my brakes and rotors. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I’m going to now check all terminal connection to battery and out and clean/tighten them all and see if the trickle overnight did anything to improve. Crossing my fingers !

I’ll keep you all posted soon with the results.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I see a cool red leather interior :). Got any pix of your AB?

Best of luck with the issue. I'm with the others...sounds like battery and posts are the best place to start.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just because you have 12.55v, doesn't mean you have the proper amps to start the car. Try taking the battery in and have it load tested. Radio ect doesn't need a lot of amperage, but the starting system does. Once it's started it doesn't use much other than headlights, heated seats, ect draw quite a bit. This why the car ran fine for your wife, until she shut it off. Then there wasn't enough juice to start it back up. All the ECU's are also very tempermental. x350 Jags freak out when the battery's START to go, known as the christmas lights.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
based on your report your battery has gone on vacation get a fresh battery.

NOTE important verify that all of the chassis and battery connections have been taken apart and cleaned before you reconnect the new battery

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
I had a LR4 in for a motor swap. Wouldn't start afterwards. Wouldn't turn the engine over, just clicked
Turns out the owner had fried the mega fuse under the plastic cover on the positive terminal.
I removed the wire from the fuse and connected it to the top of the post. Started right up, new fuse on order.
I think the battery replacement is sound advise if the age is unknown, but check the starter wire under the plastic cover first. That wire goes directly to the starter motor.

Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts