Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
cant seem to get on my rave can anyone tell me where the switch/sensor is im thinking
its playing up when engine has just started to get hot.temp gauge goes up to hot and warning
light comes on but when it is turned off its not long before its reading normal again then after a little
drive it goes back up to hot again do you think it could be the sensor or dirty rad it has some small amount of
mud in it
any

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
Sounds like it's overheating to me. Blocked rad or stuck thermostat would be my first guess. If you have a GEMS, the temperature sensor is the green one in the front of the inlet manifold, just behind the alternator. If it's a Thor, no idea....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
If its a Thor it's in the same place, but unlike the GEMS which has 2 physically separate sensors, the Thor has both the BECM/ instrument gauge and engine ECU sensors on one housing.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Flyingbanana be careful I have been down the road of thinking temp sensor was my issue...used an IR temp gun and it WAS overheating......thermostat changed and all good.
From all the threads I have read it's very rarely the sensor.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Although no clue on the op's MY, erratic temp reading was the one reason why the temp. sensor moved/change from pre 97 GEMS.

Of course ascertaining immediately whether it is overheating is a no-brainer, then handy to see what the OBD 'engine' temp sensor thinks, thats the first thing I'd look at first opportunity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts