RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, the engine in my p38 is past it's best, so i am looking to replace with something different, been looking at a 5.2 magnum from an imported (from canada to uk) grand cherokee (am i allowed to say that here), open to any other ideas, or anyone done anything simular?

dont really want to replace with a 4.0, or 4.6, as they are mega bucks, and probably shot anyway, dont need mega power either.

unless anyone knows of a 4.6, must be complete, not worried about liner slip, i got someone who can machine in top hat liners

cheers

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Too bad your so far away I have a COMPLETE 4.0 with 60k on it....It's still in the car and running...

·
Registered
867 Posts
The P.O on my 1999 4.0 replaced the engine at 122k. He bought a brand new one. And had it installed at an Indy. Spent close to $8k. Do the 5.7 GM motor. Everyone on here is all talk, I have yet to see anyone actually do it, besides Dennis, who *APPARENTLY* is in the process... if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
543 Posts
FS.

Considering a plethora of V8 powerplants bolted behind ZF gearbox's in Europe, maybe looking at the BMW/Audi stable is O.K. ?

You could always upgrade to LR's first generation L322 4.4ltr V8 motor from the FFRR and discover that the whole donk slips in !

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Roverrad95 said:
The P.O on my 1999 4.0 replaced the engine at 122k. He bought a brand new one. And had it installed at an Indy. Spent close to $8k. Do the 5.7 GM motor. Everyone on here is all talk, I have yet to see anyone actually do it, besides Dennis, who *APPARENTLY* is in the process... if I'm not mistaken.
If you feel that everyone on here is "talk" then feel free to chime in with your solutions to the issues we have ran into.
Dennis is no closer than the rest of us, and indeed offered to tow his junker P38 down to Mo to get the ball rolling. That is, to my house, BTW.
Read through the threads that have been made, then please enlighten us with your knowledge of all the things that need sorting out to make it work 110% with the factory systems.
Dumping a SBC in there to drive on the trail, or not bother about all the factory systems would be easy. Making it totally reliable and in harmony with all the factory systems is just a tad more difficult. Not everyone has the resources that Overfinch does unfortunately.....
Looking forward to you enlightening reply :thumb:

Martin

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
firestorm said:
hi all, the engine in my p38 is past it's best, so i am looking to replace with something different, been looking at a 5.2 magnum from an imported (from canada to uk) grand cherokee (am i allowed to say that here), open to any other ideas, or anyone done anything simular?

dont really want to replace with a 4.0, or 4.6, as they are mega bucks, and probably shot anyway, dont need mega power either.

unless anyone knows of a 4.6, must be complete, not worried about liner slip, i got someone who can machine in top hat liners

cheers
I'm in a similar position at the moment. My 38 is DOA back at the workshop. I think you either need to try what has already been achieved (thus possible to do), or stick to the RV8. It's really frustrating to be able to get a crate 350 SBC for less than a revamped RV8, but the engine management side is the problem. RV8 is plug-n-play. SBC is difficult without the TPI unit on the top. Then you have to make sure the engine fits the bellhousing. There is a SBC to ZF bellhousing adapter so this is possible.

Even with the cheap engine you find, the headache and extra cost of custom part makes the project a non starter.

If you have the money you have some options with the existing unit. Turner make very good value engines which are bulletproof and an option of gas ported heads adding a little extra.

Voguesey on the Classic forum builds engines so he could offer advice and a possible build.

Finally, V8Developments offer a 5.0 litre stroked unit for just over 4.2k + VAT.

I expect you already know all this though?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi, the rebuild idea would be prefered, but i cant find a 4.6 at a sensible price (dont see the point of doing it to my 4.0). I have workshop facilities on hand, so can do the build myself, just got to get someone to machine the top hat liners.

so then i was looking at a different engine, and a bit of a project, just found out that some of the older v8 4.2 audi's use a zf autobox, so should fit to my box, but i would still like the 5.2 from a grand cherokee, as i have 1 that i am using, and i can get another for a doner

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I see your point and I understand where you are coming from. ;)

What sort of prices are the breaker yards looking at for a 4.6 RV8?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Yea - Gordon did manage to get a p38 working with either a 350 BSC or an LS/LT unit. He has gone off the radar though. :(

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just phoned on of the RR breakers, who i have used before, he has 2 engines he has offered me

1) engine pulled straight out of running car, has gearbox fault, no known engine faults
105,000 ish miles £400 inc ecu

2) engine pulled out of running car, but camshaft a bit noisy, will supply me new standard cam, followers etc, chain kit
80,000 mile car £450 inc ecu, need to fit cam myself, but thats no worries.

just drove the car to the workshop, not driven it in a while, so much better to drive than the cherokee, really enjoyed it, i miss it now....haha

anything else i need to change when going from 4.0 to 4.6,

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Sounds like you've got most of it covered. The ZF unit for the 4.6 is different for the 4.0 and DSE. You need the same type of EMS i.e. GEMS or Thor. The Engine Management ECU can be told using T4 which type of engine it needs to manage, so T4 will allow it to switch between 4.0 and 4.6. You'll also need T4 to program a new ECU to the vehicle.

If you take this route, have a chat with Stuart - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=19112 as he can offer a cam option or something to spice the unit up a little before it goes in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers mate, may be interested in a cam for it, could make it a bit more fun

mine is a manual, so i assume the engine will bolt straight to the gearbox, just dont plant the loud pedal too much, and break the box

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I don't think the manual will take the torque. I must admit, I don't know if the 4.6 ever came as a manual, but I expect Tim will correct me... I've seen a 4.0 but not a 4.6 manual. :think:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont think the 4.6 ever came as a manual either, not seen 1

will be fun if nothing else, wonder how long it will last, driven carefully, i recon it should be ok

nail it once, and i maybe picking up pieces of gearbox

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would give my first kidney to get my 4.6 fitted with a Manual!!
There HAS to be a gearbox out there that can manage, I mean, BMW has 400 HP V8's mated to manuals no problem, can one of those be put in?

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
firestorm said:
i dont think the 4.6 ever came as a manual either, not seen 1

will be fun if nothing else, wonder how long it will last, driven carefully, i recon it should be ok

nail it once, and i maybe picking up pieces of gearbox
The 4.6 was never fitted with a manual by the factory, unfortunately. But the R380 should be able to cope, if driven sensibly. After all, there's quite a few tuned Defender TD5s in Europe, with more torque then a standard 4.6 and I have never heard any of them having gearbox problems (except the one with the stroked TD5 putting out 256 hp and about 650 Nm :shock: ).

I have recently put a 4.6 with ported heads and Torquemax cam into my 4.0SE manual, and am amazed how much better she drives! A lot more fun then when the engine was mated to an autobox.
I wanted a manual right away, even started a thread here somewhere, but it was too much hassle. So I kept an eye out for a 4.0 manual and then swapped the engines. 8)

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cool, was the swap straight forward? i know the engine is a direct fit, just the rest i am wondering about

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
firestorm said:
cool, was the swap straight forward? i know the engine is a direct fit, just the rest i am wondering about
Yeah, totally straight forward. It took us less then a day to put the engine in (only difficulty is making sure it slides over the transmission shaft correctly) and reconnect everything. Add oil and coolant, recheck all connections, reprogram the ECU to 4.6 and fire it up. 8)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts