RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a shop that specializes in Land Rovers look at my RR 4.4 2003 that wont start. They concluded it was getting spark, and fuel at the cylinder, however, the cylinder wall is very scored that it cant build compression. (They scoped it and the pictures showed that).

I am left with doing an engine swap.

Range Rover M62 engines are very hard to find, and can find one very easily in the BMW X5.

I am planning on swapping out with the BMW x5 4.4 M62 engine, and I am aware of the changing Oil pump and oil pan to make it fit,
Is there anything else I should be aware of or unforeseen? Will this be a simple swap?

Any advice from experience will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
There are a few existing threads with what should be changed over during an M62TU swap from BMW. Although no engine swap is easy, it's not that difficult to change out a few ancillaries and bits. Usually the 5 series sedans are the doners for Rover conversion as the X5s are fixed more often so harder to find... so I was informed when my 2005 started having issues. Shop panicked and was looking for replacements and I told them to hold off. Mine ended up being the VANOS systems needing rebuild as the rest of the engine was in incredible shape.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
The swap is pretty straight forward, I think the oil pump chain has to be swapped over also. You will want to change the O rings for the oil pump.

The main issue is how many miles the donor engine will have - this opens up a ton of things that I would change, and did change. Depends on your budget.

For sure - rear main seal, spark plugs and upper oil pan gasket (when swapping the pan it is silly not to).

Highly recommended - the timing guides and related gaskets (measure the chains, but in my experience swapping chains is not necessary).

Recommended - Vanos rebuild and intake cleaing and gaskets, PCV system, hoses.

Depending on budget and ability - valve stem seals (w/o taking head off), oil filter housing O-rings.

Make sure to completely flush the existing oil lines if you intend to use them - especially the oil filter housing and lines. If you have any metal sparkle in the oil make sure to go through the oil pump and anything that is being moved over as it will have sparkle hiding in the nooks and crevices.

Everything is pretty easy to do when the engine is out. You can set it on the oil pan across some saw horses and a board. Just lift it with a cherry picker when you need to access the bottom. Everything is in RAVE - figure about $1k in parts.

Finally - have the exhaust ports nut shell blasted if they are carboned up. Everything depends on your ability, the cost of your mechanic, time and your budget.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
383 Posts
TheAcer I am currently doing an engine rebuild and will swap on my 05. I had the same issue you have. It seems these m62s walls scored the moment you keep cranking it with no start. It sucks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts