RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2013 Range Rover Sport and have only had it for a few days. Three times so far the engine starts surging while I am stopped and I have to press really hard on the brake to keep the vehicle from moving forward. Then after a few seconds it goes away. It only seems to happen when I am driving at low speed and then stop. This is a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle so I will take it to the dealer for repair, but I wanted to get an idea of what is causing it. Interestingly, when I drove the same model at a local dealership it did the same thing, so I'm thinking it must be an issue with the 2013 models. My vehicle only has 29,000 miles and when this happens it feels like someone is flooring the accelerator while holding the brake. A little scary - my wife is afraid to drive it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,966 Posts
The brake hasn't seated on it. After a few drives it should be okay. Is your AC in full blast?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is continuing to happen intermittantly. I noticed that when it happes the front raises up. I have about 2000 miles on the brakes now so that should not be the issue. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
797 Posts
This is what must have happened to mine. It was on my first drive after I had replaced the front pads (just the pads).... Slowed down for a red light and despite my pressing the brake pedal to come to a slow stop, the engine surged and revved up to the point where the car was pushing itself into the intersection. I "broke" even harder and finally brought the car to a dead stop after jamming it into park and grinding the parking prawl a little. After that little tantrum, my rover went back to normal.

To this day I still don't know why this happened because i DID seat the brakes properly or at least I *think* I did. Did about 5 brake tests from 80Kph to seat the new pads onto the old rotors which were not even grooved. I can't help but feel like its a confused sensor somewhere telling the throttle to engage even though the brake pedal was applied... And why this happens after a brake job is even more of a mystery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread. My 2013 RRS Supercharged is doing the same thing. When slowing down or after coming to a stop, the vehicle will sometimes surge. No recent brake work on mine. Also, why would pressing the brake cause the car to behave as if the accelerator was pressed?

Anyone have an update on the cause of this?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine did/does it as well!
#1 I think it happens only with AC on > may be AC compressor is somehow is harder to turn and engine is trying to compencate?
#2 It is possibly throttle body as you release the accelerator pedal, system supposed to close the flap to hairline thin gap to just provide enough air for idle, if for some reason that flap being hard/sluggish to close on those last few degrees and actuator-motor struggling for several seconds to bring it to idle-home position, this could be the effect - rpms are higher and beast of the engine is trying to sprint ahead and in the traffic you probably operate within those couple of degrees of the opening of thottle body flap.
#3 I had brand new Engine and Transmission replaced in 2019, good news - it is not your Engine/Transmission, bad news - that did not solve the problem, replacement engine does not come with new throttle body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts