RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Not sure if this is a real problem, But sometimes when I start my RR after it has sat over night, I get a weird noise from the engine. It sounds like metal clanking on metal. It sounds like there is no oil in the top end. Then it goes away in less than ten seconds.

It does not happen all the time, but it sounds weird.

I have checked my oil and it is above the full mark so I know it has oil.

Do any of you get this sound upon start up? Know what it may be?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I guess we can all say that this is indeed not normal :)

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I had an 03 BMW 540i that would make those noises at start up. I believe it was a hydraulic device for the variable cam system. You might want to go to a BMW dealer and ask them. They have more experience with that motor than a Range rover dealer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
it does indeed sound like the hydraulic tappets to me,

when it sits overnight, they may leak oil, so when on start up, they rattle a bit until oil is pumped around again.
might be worth getting a service done, as mine had this recently, but to the extent where it was missing, we found out the oil filter had broken up, and blocked the oilways to the tappets, not good,

but yours may be just a little bit of usual wear, try just changing the oil, may fix your problem,

·
Registered
113 Posts
This has actually come up before on this board. Mine does it, it always has. I am pretty sure it is not an oil drain, the explanation of the cam chain makes the most sense.
Mine can sit for days and not make a peep on initial start-up, yet is can sit for a minute and wrap.
My neighbors A8 makes the exact same noise....

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
JJ & Silver your both right, could be drain back problem, there is a hydrolic cam chain tentioner that will let the chain rattle on start up till it gets pressure.

Mark.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JJ said:
it does indeed sound like the hydraulic tappets to me,

when it sits overnight, they may leak oil, so when on start up, they rattle a bit until oil is pumped around again.
might be worth getting a service done, as mine had this recently, but to the extent where it was missing, we found out the oil filter had broken up, and blocked the oilways to the tappets, not good,

but yours may be just a little bit of usual wear, try just changing the oil, may fix your problem,
Just had the oil changed a few months ago.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moto One said:
JJ & Silver your both right, could be drain back problem, there is a hydrolic cam chain tentioner that will let the chain rattle on start up till it gets pressure.

Mark.
So I should take it in and have them look at it. I just know the response I'll get. "We were unable to reproduce the problem"

If I do nothing, what will be the long term problem?

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
As long as it goes away with in a second or two, I wouldn't worry to much. Keep an ear to it and if it starts to last longer then maybe it should be looked at...

Mark.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a good plan. I can't see why this would amount to anything large at this point. The Rover has been such a good SUV throughout ownership!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem.When I try to start the engine there some weird clattering noise from engine.
This is the second time The 1st time we had to turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise after sometime it started . The indie here in Dubai tells me it could be the gasket that’s leaking water to the inside of the engine. So to fix it a need a new gasket.
Anyone experienced similar problem please chime in.
Ps Range Rover sports 2008 with 200,000km milage.
Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts