Range Rovers Forum banner

engine start issue 4.4tdv8

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tomffrr 
#1 ·
Normally on this version (2012) of the l322, you put your foot on the brake and press the start button and the gear selector rises up from the consol. Yesterday jumped in as usual but nothing. No warning messages. Battery is full charged. Things like the radio works etc.

Have tried keeping my finder on start button for 10 seconds and locking/opening doors again etc.

I have tried both keys and there is no remote key error detection message. In fact there are no warning messages of any kind displayed.

Never happened before, and car has been great until this point.

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks

Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 (2012), 85,000 miles
Swansea UK

#2 ·
I have this problem regularly with my 2011. (The gear selector will only rise up once the engine has started). I know mine has a starter motor/solenoid issue and I am waiting for the enthusiasm to build before I replace it with a spare I have.

I have found that the starter will work 9 times out of 10 if I press the start button with my foot off the brake to get the ignition on and then after 10 to 15 seconds I press the start button again but this time with my foot on the brake. It is definitely worse if the car has not been driven for a while and the battery is not fully charged.

You say your battery is fully charged? It may appear so due to the ignition coming on and radio working but these things will operate well below 12 volts. The starter however wont even click if the voltage is too low. I would suggest charging the battery to rule out that possible problem.

I hear the solenoid click when I have the problem so listen out for yours. If there is no click it still could be the starter but it could also be the maxi fuse on the positive battery terminal.

#3 ·
Sorry for the late response to this. The car has been with the garage for nearly 4 weeks. Thanks Ghur for responding.

Yes battery fully charged etc.

An update and resolution.

As posted my 4.4 TDV8 would not start and pressing the Start button did nothing and the gear selector did not rise. Car was recovered to Swansea Vale 4x4.

After a lot of diagnostics it turned out the Instrument Cluster unit had failed. These are £1,500 new but there is a company in the UK that can repair. My specific cluster unit was too far gone to fix but they supplied a reconditioned unit. Picked up the car this morning and all good as new. Apparently these units do fail often.

Anyway just wanted to post the outcome in case someone else has this issue in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.