RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a 2012 RRSC 100k mi. So far it’s been a headache. Now the engine sounds like a diesel motor. It’s also starting to vibrate when I go past 70mph. Any ideas on what it might be?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
67 Posts
Sounds like timing chain if you search the forum you should find plenty of information. Sadly that would not be good news. :(

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like timing chain if you search the forum you should find plenty of information. Sadly that would not be good news. :(
Are there two timing chains in these?

Also, I've seen dealer prices for this job, what should we expect from a good indie shop?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Are there two timing chains in these?

Also, I've seen dealer prices for this job, what should we expect from a good indie shop?
Yeah 2 chains but not the rapper.

The parts kit is about $1100 from Atlantic British which is most bits n things. I talked with my guy over here and if a shop will do it (special tools are needed) its like 20-28 hours book labor. Resetting the timing bills at like 8 hours by itself. I dunno if its 20+8 or 20 covers it all but its several thousand dollars shop rate for labor. Want to say comes in $4-6k in labor on avg.

So I bought a 2012 RRSC 100k mi. So far it’s been a headache. Now the engine sounds like a diesel motor. It’s also starting to vibrate when I go past 70mph. Any ideas on what it might be?
Could be a lot of things from suspension and bushings to motor mounts for the vibration. If you hear a clattering like a diesel it could be timing chains, supercharger or even just the valves being noisy cause they are.

I'd google "eaton supercharger coupler noise" and watch a few youtube videos. Start there then google "range rover timing chains noise" and watch a few of those videos with the goal being to better help you understand what noise(s) you may hear.

There are a lot of posts here about it. Most are good at helping understand the noises and issues.

Overall to get much help you're going to have to get more details on what you're hearing/experiencing and communicate them back to the group.

Also helps to keep in mind owning a Land Rover is a dysfunctional relationship, we love them, they hate us. I've tried winning mine over with churros....doesnt help.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah 2 chains but not the rapper.

The parts kit is about $1100 from Atlantic British which is most bits n things. I talked with my guy over here and if a shop will do it (special tools are needed) its like 20-28 hours book labor. Resetting the timing bills at like 8 hours by itself. I dunno if its 20+8 or 20 covers it all but its several thousand dollars shop rate for labor. Want to say comes in $4-6k in labor on avg.

Could be a lot of things from suspension and bushings to motor mounts for the vibration. If you hear a clattering like a diesel it could be timing chains, supercharger or even just the valves being noisy cause they are.

I'd google "eaton supercharger coupler noise" and watch a few youtube videos. Start there then google "range rover timing chains noise" and watch a few of those videos with the goal being to better help you understand what noise(s) you may hear.

There are a lot of posts here about it. Most are good at helping understand the noises and issues.

Overall to get much help you're going to have to get more details on what you're hearing/experiencing and communicate them back to the group.

Also helps to keep in mind owning a Land Rover is a dysfunctional relationship, we love them, they hate us. I've tried winning mine over with churros....doesnt help.
Do you currently own all three vehicles in your signature? Maintaining 3 RR's out-of-warranty is the new status symbol, instead of buying a new Lexus.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do you currently own all three vehicles in your signature? Maintaining 3 RR's out-of-warranty is the new status symbol, instead of buying a new Lexus.
Shhhhhh. It was an accident. I didn't set out to buy 2 MY12s but the AB is really special and the SC is to replace the MY06.

But yeah. I own all 3 L322s.

I've earned my JLR education over the last 6 years by purchasing the token used Range Rover which turned out to be so abused I've replaced just about everything short of new engine and transmission on the MY06. I've restored the interior and been through every nut and bolt on the vehicle at least 1x. We've done all the ECU updates via IIDTool and Pat let us experiment with a few as well.

It's been an amazing experience and my mechanic has become one of my closest friends. I think I'm a legit enthusiast now. I got a plaque and a donut.

but after buying the MY12 AB I fell in love with a few advanced features I'd never easily be able to add to the MY06. That paired with knowing in the next 50k miles (it's at 144k now) I'll be doing a lot of the basic service items again I made the decision to buy a clean MY09, which I just bit the bullet and spent the extra for another low mileage MY12. The AB has 67k miles and the SC has 59k. I should get years out of both and as you know, they aren't making any more of them ??

·
Registered
558 Posts
Shhhhhh. It was an accident. I didn't set out to buy 2 MY12s but the AB is really special and the SC is to replace the MY06.

But yeah. I own all 3 L322s.

I've earned my JLR education over the last 6 years by purchasing the token used Range Rover which turned out to be so abused I've replaced just about everything short of new engine and transmission on the MY06. I've restored the interior and been through every nut and bolt on the vehicle at least 1x. We've done all the ECU updates via IIDTool and Pat let us experiment with a few as well.

It's been an amazing experience and my mechanic has become one of my closest friends. I think I'm a legit enthusiast now. I got a plaque and a donut.

but after buying the MY12 AB I fell in love with a few advanced features I'd never easily be able to add to the MY06. That paired with knowing in the next 50k miles (it's at 144k now) I'll be doing a lot of the basic service items again I made the decision to buy a clean MY09, which I just bit the bullet and spent the extra for another low mileage MY12. The AB has 67k miles and the SC has 59k. I should get years out of both and as you know, they aren't making any more of them ??
Can't blame you. I won't buy another RR (unless... unless...) it's a 2012 AB Ultimate and I have a reliable daily driver.

Just can't resist the concept of chauffeuring the wife around with a bottle of (something legal) in the champagne cooler!

·
Registered
268 Posts
OP I am so sorry to hijack your thread ?

Can't blame you. I won't buy another RR (unless... unless...) it's a 2012 AB Ultimate and I have a reliable daily driver
That's just it, right?

I mean I bought the AB to replace the MY06 and had no clue how different it is from a regular SC. Of course the ultimate even more with those lovely wooden door panel toppers and things. Even now with essentially twins, the SC feels, for whatever reason like a regular Range Rover but the AB feels totally different. Mine reminds me more of an e63 or something more sporty but still luxury hence why I threw the 21 SVR wheels on it and run it 30mm lower at all times.

Did you see my lovely update?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts