RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Is it cheaper to do a engine swap or repair head gasket?
Depends if head gasket requires the engine to be removed. If yes, then probably worth engine swap if you find a better replacement that’s worthwhile.

FWIW, if you Google head gasket, all the V8’s are out of the vehicle; and the pictures of the 4-bangers and inline-6’s are done without removing the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't see anything that hints at what year, model, engine you're asking about.
We have people that come into this forum asking about RR Sports, P38's, all kinds that this is the wrong place to ask.

So to answer your question as accurately as possible with the detail you're asking, Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2007 hse 4.4L I'll include pics. Luckily lucky8 is 5 minutes from my house. It has 100k on it and in pristine condition other then motor
I'll continue too send up dates of the job my cousin who is a certified mechanic is gonna take on the task. God bless his soul lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
It’s about a 20hour job according for the book - you need head gasket and probably a chain kit while you are there (aftermarket would save you a fair bit) if I were you I’d check the valve clearance too while you are there as they wear too.

should be enough to help you work it out

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
It's a 2007 hse 4.4L I'll include pics. Luckily lucky8 is 5 minutes from my house. It has 100k on it and in pristine condition other then motor
I'll continue too send up dates of the job my cousin who is a certified mechanic is gonna take on the task....
That should help greatly, between Lucky8 for parts, and your cousin being interested in the challenge.

I posted my recent experience on here, about where my DEALERSHIP'S diagnosis of a misfire was a blown head gasket.
As I went into in my posts, the indy mechanic I took it to for a second look found it was a bad spark plug in cylinder #3.

BIG difference!
I hope you can be so lucky, or close to it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
While the heads are off you should look into extrude honing. Never had it done. But I know people who have and it makes a difference.
If my heads ever need to come off I will be looking into it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That should help greatly, between Lucky8 for parts, and your cousin being interested in the challenge.

I posted my recent experience on here, about where my DEALERSHIP'S diagnosis of a misfire was a blown head gasket.
As I went into in my posts, the indy mechanic I took it to for a second look found it was a bad spark plug in cylinder #3.

BIG difference!
I hope you can be so lucky, or close to it.
After talking to lucky8 there saying my engine shouldnt have a blown HG. I ran diagnostic and shows mis fire 3 and 5. Had coolant bleed. Was giving hot air. Drove about two miles and air went cold and air built up in coolant system. Any thoughts? no oil in coolant and no coolant in oil. I'm baffled. Waiting on second opinion when cousin has time. Lucky8 quoted me 426 for new alternator, both pully tensioners as well as both belts. There HG kit was high about 500.00 bucks. Might as well replace it if open.. and I'll look into chain in gear if it comes down to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends if head gasket requires the engine to be removed. If yes, then probably worth engine swap if you find a better replacement that’s worthwhile.

FWIW, if you Google head gasket, all the V8’s are out of the vehicle; and the pictures of the 4-bangers and inline-6’s are done without removing the engine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I did head and timing job without removing 4.2 engine
100k miles and blowing head gasket i think it’s not possible. Even in russia never heard a range rover with blown hg with that gas quality out of good mechanics and authentic oil On hard climate conditions
Next time i will try swap this jag engine with a good toyota engine
We allready have a range rover with uaz engine

·
Registered
596 Posts
Did you pull the plugs and check their condition? If you have a coolant leak the plugs may have a colored hue to them. They would most certainly be clean from the steaming inside the chamber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts