Range Rovers Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
I recommend swengines.com I have a 2010HSE sport and needed an engine, I paid a lil over 8G's through swengines they shipped directly to the shop I chose . It comes with a 5 year parts and labor warranty and I had it installed in 2019 and have not had any problems what so ever . check them out www.swengines.com
The tapa rebuild has significant upgrades to the original motor, which seem v/reasonable at first read. The sweat-shop engines look like assembly-line rebuilders of all makes. The 5 year warranty is a broad-brush/probability thing, made possible due to their size. Not necessarily reflective of the quality of the rebuild. Not saying it's a disaster by any means, but that's my take after looking at the reviews anyway - such as... .

"Well I would certainly steer very clear of SW Engines, or one of their other engine companies that they seem to also fly under. Completely disregard any positive reviews on their website as they are 100% fake. I purchased an engine from...."

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Swengines.com gave me a quote of 13k for a used engine with 33k miles. For that price i'll buy the remanufactured tapa engine.
Does the Tapa Engine have the kind of warranty the "SWengines" come with??? I mean, a 5 year warranty on Parts AND Labor is really hard to beat if in fact they do really warranty this and can be verified real end-users that can legit wise back up their use of the warranty. This is 5 times longer than JLR warrantied my brand new crate engine strait from Sollihul's factory in England that was sitting in their Nashville warehouse. It only came with a 1 year unlimited mileage engine that was installed by a certified Land Rover Dealership and a truly talented Master Mechanic and the Shop Forman... Labor on that puppy was billed at 40+ hours including QA/QC and putting 80 miles on her after complete diagnostics, etc...

I'd be more than willing to spend a few K extra for a quality rebuild and an actual verifiable warranty. Just something to consider.

-Ham

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Range Rover Sport Autobiography
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
What do you guys think of this estimate. Tech says the timing chain jumped and that was my issue.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So I ended up ordering a rebuilt engine from TAPA. Here's the breakdown:

Complete Remanufactured & Reinforced 2014 Range Rover Sport 5.0 supercharged Engine

**Engine has zero miles brand new
Price includes install kit &
New injectors
Supercharger gaskets
updated hose
water pump
thermostat
Heater pipe etc.
CORE IS DUE
*year warranty or 12k mile or whichever comes first Engine will include:
*New piston
*New Rings
*11mm head bolts
*New Bearings
*New heat treated Sleeves (This is installed in block to protect from
overheating)
*New Valve Seals
*3-layer Head Gaskets (heat protection)
*New 8mm Rails, Tensioners, Chain (This will aid in the prevention of timing
chain failure)
*Front & Rear main Seals
*New crank
**all weak points in engine will be reinforced

FORTIFIED BLOCKS:
All Blocks are Re-sleeved with oversized metal sleeves that are heat-treated.
The blocks are then decked and top-hatted for further rigidity. Original Blocks
have very porous aluminum sleeves that tend to crack even under the
slightest overheating situation.
UPGRADED PARTS INSTALLED:
1) 3-Layer Head gaskets (Stock are 2-Layer)
2) 11 MM Head bolts (Stock are 10.5 MM)
3) Aluminum & Plastic Timing Chain Rails (Stock are Plastic)
4) 8 MM Timing Tensioners Better Oil Flow (Stock are 6.35 MM)
5) Polished Crank with Oversized Bearings
ADDITIONAL NEW PARTS INSTALLED:
1) Pistons with Rings
2) Connecting Rods
3) Valves & Valve Seals
4) Timing Actuators
5) Timing Chains
6) Oil Cooler with Gasket
7) Oil Filter with Housing Gasket
8) Spark Plugs
9) Oil Pump

Free shipping and free shipping for the core return. Total: 14k and another 5 to install

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
So I ended up ordering a rebuilt engine from TAPA. Here's the breakdown:

Complete Remanufactured & Reinforced 2014 Range Rover Sport 5.0 supercharged Engine

**Engine has zero miles brand new
Price includes install kit &
New injectors
Supercharger gaskets
updated hose
water pump
thermostat
Heater pipe etc.
CORE IS DUE
*year warranty or 12k mile or whichever comes first Engine will include:
*New piston
*New Rings
*11mm head bolts
*New Bearings
*New heat treated Sleeves (This is installed in block to protect from
overheating)
*New Valve Seals
*3-layer Head Gaskets (heat protection)
*New 8mm Rails, Tensioners, Chain (This will aid in the prevention of timing
chain failure)
*Front & Rear main Seals
*New crank
**all weak points in engine will be reinforced

FORTIFIED BLOCKS:
All Blocks are Re-sleeved with oversized metal sleeves that are heat-treated.
The blocks are then decked and top-hatted for further rigidity. Original Blocks
have very porous aluminum sleeves that tend to crack even under the
slightest overheating situation.
UPGRADED PARTS INSTALLED:
1) 3-Layer Head gaskets (Stock are 2-Layer)
2) 11 MM Head bolts (Stock are 10.5 MM)
3) Aluminum & Plastic Timing Chain Rails (Stock are Plastic)
4) 8 MM Timing Tensioners Better Oil Flow (Stock are 6.35 MM)
5) Polished Crank with Oversized Bearings
ADDITIONAL NEW PARTS INSTALLED:
1) Pistons with Rings
2) Connecting Rods
3) Valves & Valve Seals
4) Timing Actuators
5) Timing Chains
6) Oil Cooler with Gasket
7) Oil Filter with Housing Gasket
8) Spark Plugs
9) Oil Pump

Free shipping and free shipping for the core return. Total: 14k and another 5 to install
What do you guys think of this estimate. Tech says the timing chain jumped and that was my issue.

View attachment 297007
A). Unless this "Tech" has taken the current blown engine out of the Rover and has disassembled both the top and bottom of the engine to see exactly what damage has been done... how would he know that it's only a jumped timing chain issue and that the above will fix you back to good.

B). Unless "Tech" has performed a tear-down as described above then I'm calling BS! These 5.0Liters are strongly built and with the durable timing chains in them they don't just "Jump off the sprockets." These timing chains don't just stretch either. My point is this "Tech" doesn't know if performing the itemized above is going to get you fixed because he hasn't looked at the Crank Shaft, the Cylinder Walls, Rods, Cylinder Heads, etc...

We had to tear down my original engine to see what the real damage was top half and bottom half... The top half had heavy piston head to valve "Slap" and the bottom had a ruined/scored Crank-Shaft, a burnt rod bearing and Cylinder @ the # 5 cylinder with heavy cylinder wall gouging... Hence the major loss of compression.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That is one Sexy "B" ... I'm amazed at how "short" the engine Block is length wise front to back or "tip to tail" when compared to how "Wide" she is width wise from side to side wise... It's a Great Design and allows for the engine to be placed backwards deeper in the bay to account for a better 50/50 handling balance! She's a tall engine too reminiscent of a true Long/Tall-Block engine allowing for a longer stroke. This engine is my favorite I've ever had by far this wide 305ci Supercharged Baby!

Reactions: fuddy

·
Registered
174 Posts
Following with interest. Is the new motor / engine installed, and if so, how's it going?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's going to be installed this week. Just waiting on new hoses, pulleys and belts. I'm doing everything new.
Very, very wise... Make sure to get the new "Updated" coolant cross-over pipe as I'm sure you are aware of. Are you going to use your old Supercharger? If so I'd replace that coupler that goes out/bearing that is prone to go out while you are at it...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Very, very wise... Make sure to get the new "Updated" coolant cross-over pipe as I'm sure you are aware of. Are you going to use your old Supercharger? If so I'd replace that coupler that goes out/bearing that is prone to go out while you are at it...
ETA: I bet you are like a "giddy school girl" about now aren't you? Who's doing the work, an Indi Shop I presume because you said install was 5K...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
ETA: I bet you are like a "giddy school girl" about now aren't you? Who's doing the work, an Indi Shop I presume because you said install was 5K...
Yeah, indy shop. Can't wait to get her back.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Yeah, indy shop. Can't wait to get her back.
I bet... I was without mine for almost a whole month when my original engine blew a rod bearing. 1 day to remove and tear down the engine, 25 days after that worth of arguing with the warranty company (Easy Care), 1 day to install the new OEM crate AJ-V8, hardware and SC... And another day for QA/QC-ing the engine for leaks. And another day letting the master mechanic take her home and back to work the next morning to further test her out. So 27 to 28 days without her and I was about to lose my mind driving a 4 cylinder Discovery. In the end it was Divine Intervention getting Easy Care to step up and pay for the damage they warrantied against and sourcing the only New Crate AJ-V8 the Dealership knew of in the Country... at a warehouse in Nashville...

Don't be afraid to show up at the Indi-Shop with a nice demeanor and a good attitude for sure; just to check on the progress. I did the same.

Another member here had his Cross-Coolant Pipe replaced with his Supercharger was getting worked on/repaired, (makes sense), and 15 minutes after he picked it up I have a strong sense that pipe and the "work-performed" caused his ride to shut down and overheat. The owner did Nothing Wrong I wanna point out. But checking on the install in person is a good idea and hopefully will remind the installer you are hands on and to do a better than normal/average job.

BTW; JLR gave me an $8500 credit if I would agree to return the old blown engine core back to Solihul, UK. See if JLR will give you more money than the remanufacturer for the Core and roll accordingly and maybe put a couple grand in your pocket after all is said and done.

Post back when you get her back!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
BTW; JLR gave me an $8500 credit if I would agree to return the old blown engine core back to Solihul, UK. See if JLR will give you more money than the remanufacturer for the Core and roll accordingly and maybe put a couple grand in your pocket after all is said and done.
oh that's a good idea, i'll check it out. I pop into the shop almost every other day to drop off parts etc.. and check on progress

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
oh that's a good idea, i'll check it out. I pop into the shop almost every other day to drop off parts etc.. and check on progress
Absolutely it is... Don't just accept whatever the Re-Manufactuer say's it's worth... JLR credited $8,500 for that blown engine... I'd accept nothing less! Plus there was no talk about shipping either which must account for something rather exorbitant too!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Absolutely it is... Don't just accept whatever the Re-Manufactuer say's it's worth... JLR credited $8,500 for that blown engine... I'd accept nothing less! Plus there was no talk about shipping either which must account for something rather exorbitant too!
But the dealer did the install for you right? Can you pm me your contact at JLR?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts