RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

Help me with the replacement of my engine for a "mint" 2005 Range Rover HSE. This is the BMW 4.6 L Vin 1. I am hearing I can purchase a motor from several types of BMW vehicles such as the 740I. Is this true? Are there any issues related to this rather than purchasing a Range Rover engine? I am having a hard time finding an engine to put in.

Thanks,

Jerry
Minnesota

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
Actually it is 4.4 m62b44tu engine. The base engine is used in a few 5 and 7 series BMW models. There are minor differences/upgrades to the engine when installed in an L322. BMW engine installs are well documented and covered in existing threads.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
Late model BMW E38 with Vanos. Say 2000 - 2001 would work (740i, 740IL). They changed the oil pan and I believe the timing chain (Not sure why), but you can use those bits off the old Rover engine and put it right back in.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I don't know.. I'd think an M62tuB46 would work, it's identical besides power output and any changes to fuel trim the ECU can figure out easily.

But you're better off with a standard M62tuB44, as mentioned many threads which engines will fit. 1999-2003 X5 4.4i is closest match from what I've heard.

You didn't by chance buy that 260k mile Bonnati grey 05? I was going to snatch that as soon as can fit a 12 hour trip into my schedule.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts