RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am really hoping somebody can advise me, as I seem to be getting into a deeper and deeper hole here and I am really struggling! I had what I thought was a blown head gaskit on my 2006 4.4 Jag engine in my L322. So I have gone through and removed the heads, no real big issue there. However, now that the heads are off, I have discovered that I actually have 2 cracks in the cylinder bores, so I need to replace the block! I have obtained a replacment block, but I am now totally stuck at how to get the old block out? From the manual, it looks like I need to remove the front half shafts, also the front prop shaft etc. This requires a bunch of special tools. Also, according to the manual, gearbox has to come out before the engine. I dont want to do that, or more specifically, I dont have the space/facility to do that. Is there anyone that has done an engine swap in this vehicle that can advise me on how to go ahead and if all the special tools are necessary? I am actually quite a competent mechanic (well, at least I think I am), and I have done engine swaps in multiple other vehicles and land rovers, but this one just seems really complicated with the integrated differential.

I am really hoping somebody can help, as this is becoming a real money pit and I am beginning to regeret ever starting this project!

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Robert

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
You are certainly in rarified territory as very few on here have pulled engines as far as I know. Have you done all the work so far without a manual. I think the half shafts will come out but likely will have to separate the front suspension to pull the half shafts. Perhaps look for a thread on that issue. If you have things well stripped the engine should come ahead to separate it from trans but it may be awkward. A wrecker who has some experience with your model may be willing to divulge some info if a dealer mechanic will not. I found an interesting capable mechanic through a body shop referral which I got from a windshield replacement facility that did a serviceable job for me on an older pick-up truck. Ghur in south africa may be able to offer some info and is a real gentleman to boot. good luck and please update

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
786 Posts
`) Gentleman? :think: Maybe. My wife would disagree though - she just thinks I am a nutcase with a weird obsession for these cars.

Unfortunately I have never removed a Jag version engine so cant offer any real advice. I see that the manual does say remove transmission assembly before removing the engine but I am sure that is not necessary. The official manuals are often overkill and a bit of thought can find many shortcuts. Special tools can make things easier but normal tools can do most things. But if all else fails the gearbox is not very difficult to remove provided you have a decent transmission jack and a couple of extra hands to assist you.

The diff does make things awkward but is easy enough to detach from the engine. But wear some kind of hand protection as you are guaranteed to get one of more fingers squashed while removing it.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts