RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2:00pm, EAS engine codes all cleared, engine idles good, no light
2:24pm, shutdown once to get gas, upon restart, "HDC Inactive", "Air Susp. Inactive", ABS/traction control lights.
3:00pm, engine started, drove with all those above lights on for 45 minutes and shutdown
4:11pm, engine started, drove for 10 mins
5:50pm, engine started, drove for 15 mins
6:00pm, engine stalled at intersection, "Trans fail-safe" message appeared.

At this point the car cannot be restarted and needed to be towed all the way back to my home.

6:32pm, the tow truck driver gave it a boost and it crank and started for a second and shutdown immediately, subsequent attempt to start result in silence. I measured the battery at 12.09 so i figured it was a weak battery. I put the battery on charger and cannot connect to either the EMS or Tranny ECU. The "D", "R", "P" display is blank.

11pm after charging, I scanned the instrument cluster ECU it gave me:
(1/5) Instrument Pack checksum incorrect
(2/5) Transmission Interface Bus fault
(3/5) CAN bus fault - No DMER1 received from EMS ECU
(4/5) CAN bus fault - No EGS1 received from Auto Gearbox ECU
(5/5) CAN bus fault - No DMER4 received from EMS ECU

So the cluster still doesn't have that gear selected display. Car still cranks once and then shuts down. All this is after picking it up from my mechanic after engine rebuild. He drove it fro an hour the day prior with no problem.

Totally stumped now. The car went from no lights (after full code clear) to suspension faults, to engine light (due to exhaust leak the mechanic said), to sudden shutdown and no more Tranny ECU communication, and no start.

I measured all the fuses and none seems to be broken.

Registered
What did you scan it with? a regular obd2 scanner tool? Any can bus fault or weak battery will set the HDC/Air Susp/ABS/DSC lights so I would disregard these for now. Sounds like the EMS ECU is not communicating so the tranny is not getting the proper signal to know the state of the gears. Crawl under and check all wirings around the tranny and in engine bay for good connections. Check ground and power connections in the black ebox under the hood near the intake air filter box, Check fuses inside it. Follow all these connections to make sure your mechanic hasn't left some off or mismatched them. Check inside the tranny box located on the firewall behind the battery. Check all fuses inside the glove box especially fuse 31. Clear all faults once done and take it for a run to verify all is well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I used a Carsoft i930. It worked before. I will look into the tranny connectors and the wiring harness in that big box under the hood.

Registered
I do know that when the tranny controller is disconnected in the black box with the engine running all hell breaks loose if you drive it. Failsafe air sups. etc. But when you shut off and restart it all goes away if nothing is wrong so definitely check that tranny connector at the tranny as well as under the hood. I have no other suggestion but it sure sounds too coincidental to have your failures after an engine job where lots of things get moved and replaced. Just recently the van had a red battery light and even tho I had started the truck and noticed nothing the battery ground bolt had just become slightly loose-just enough to turn the light on but not stop the truck from running- it was very strange. curious if you lost you calendar and time on the screen as when ours has had reduced battery juice (and not necessarily a disconnect)it always requires a reset. Also talk on here of the hot battery cable side separating inside the clamp so another thing to check over.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
You hit the nail with the loose ground bolts. I found the two ground wires bolt for the big wiring harness box to be very loose. Retightened them and all is going well now.

Registered
Are we going to nominate Rovah to the RRhall of fame! Nice going.

Registered
Haha Diff this was all you though with the loose ground cable.

Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
2:00pm, EAS engine codes all cleared, engine idles good, no light
2:24pm, shutdown once to get gas, upon restart, "HDC Inactive", "Air Susp. Inactive", ABS/traction control lights.
3:00pm, engine started, drove with all those above lights on for 45 minutes and shutdown
4:11pm, engine started, drove for 10 mins
5:50pm, engine started, drove for 15 mins
6:00pm, engine stalled at intersection, "Trans fail-safe" message appeared.

At this point the car cannot be restarted and needed to be towed all the way back to my home.

6:32pm, the tow truck driver gave it a boost and it crank and started for a second and shutdown immediately, subsequent attempt to start result in silence. I measured the battery at 12.09 so i figured it was a weak battery. I put the battery on charger and cannot connect to either the EMS or Tranny ECU. The "D", "R", "P" display is blank.

11pm after charging, I scanned the instrument cluster ECU it gave me:
(1/5) Instrument Pack checksum incorrect
(2/5) Transmission Interface Bus fault
(3/5) CAN bus fault - No DMER1 received from EMS ECU
(4/5) CAN bus fault - No EGS1 received from Auto Gearbox ECU
(5/5) CAN bus fault - No DMER4 received from EMS ECU

So the cluster still doesn't have that gear selected display. Car still cranks once and then shuts down. All this is after picking it up from my mechanic after engine rebuild. He drove it fro an hour the day prior with no problem.

Totally stumped now. The car went from no lights (after full code clear) to suspension faults, to engine light (due to exhaust leak the mechanic said), to sudden shutdown and no more Tranny ECU communication, and no start.

I measured all the fuses and none seems to be broken.
i had similar issue after rebuilding the 4.2 engine
same symptoms
that was the cps sensor on the transmission
5 minutes repair, check the cps first maybe a cost less repair

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
The issue with mine was two loose ground wires. The truck have been running solid for a week now. It still have some EAS issues but it's coming together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts