Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2004 car last year with the dreaded vanos rattle. On start up it ran quietly but as soon as it warmed up the diesel like noise started. I listened to many youtube videos regarding the noise - they are mainly about BMW cars as opposed to the L322 - but same M62 engine and same noise so I knew with 99% certainty that the vanos was the culprit. Apparently this problem can affect a few things. eg. start up rattle, poor performance, uneven idle but it my case it was just a very annoying and embarrassing noise.

I also had a permanent fault that I posted about a while ago. http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...l322/59578-camshaft-control-bank-1-fault.html

So I ordered the repair kit from http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html and got busy. There is a very comprehensive walk through on the web site and their support is excellent. I made the mistake of not ordering the Vanos press tool but luckily managed to borrow one locally to complete the job. There are many write ups on the net about stripping the top end either for this vanos job or for timing chain tensioner issues so I wont go into that. I would not say it is an easy DIY job but not impossible. But dont try it if you are afraid of open surgery.

Job is now complete and the motor is running like a dream. Extremely quiet as it should be and it makes driving a pleasure again. The Camshaft Control fault is also gone.

BUT.

I have a childish habit of namimg my cars after the person I bought them from. It just helps to identify them as I tend to have many cars in various stages of dis-repair standing in my yard. So this ones name is Dina. The only Range Rover I have ever owned that is named after a woman. She obviously was a little put out by my messing with her insides and in retaliation decide to fail the torque converter 20 miles after I finished the vanos job. High maintainance b*tch. So thats my next project. Lucky I did a torque converter overhaul on Robert a few weeks ago. The procedure is still fresh in my mind.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Very happy, if not a bit jealous for you. Our recent 04 addition without much inspection has decided to show a few issues but the ice on our driveway has diminished my determination to crawl under and inspect. Hope you will be on this site for advice/moral support for a long time to come as some of your issues will surely crop up for us. Keep well.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
153 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see some first hand experience that the seals from Beisan Systems work well, such a cost effective solution compared to replacing the VANOS units entirely. Good work man.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.