RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 range rover 4.0. The truck has a popping sound that seems to come from the air intake. It only happens in gear and seems to be noticeable at or above 2k rpm. In neutral it does not have this problem. I do not have any engine lights on. I did some research and found that it could be my MAF sensor, I did take it out and clean it, did not change anything. I just bought this truck a few months back and it does have a few other problems, when i got it the heat was not blowing so i checked the relays and found them to be bad and replaced, fixed the heat problem. While at the fuse box noticed that it was cracked and with further research found that to be a very common problem. So i mention the fuse box with the question, can a bad fuse box cause this problem that I am having with the popping? I plan on changing out the fuse box, I am just waiting for better weather. I know there are other threads that touch on the topic but none of them are conclusive. So I am hoping to get some help from you experts prior to throwing parts at this thing.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
482 Posts
check your exhaust manifold gaskets , that's where the poping sound is most likely coming from. use a soft piece of hose on the manifolds and listen for leaks .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the engine has good power and accelerates good up till about 2500 rpm then it starts to "pop" which I am assuming is a backfire. If i baby the pedal i can drive it... but anytime i push the pedal down hard it backfires. Would the exhaust gaskets affect the engine performance? Because i do have an exhaust leak I can hear it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
sounds like a worn out cam lobe or a set of the lobs worn out, thus valves not opening as they should. another possibility is broken valve springs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
how are your cats , their could be a restriction (they can crack) , may be the reason for exhaust leak?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have not had the truck very long. when I first got it I drove it a few days and it drove great. A few things were not working, the heat was not blowing, the radio does not come on, the windows do not work and the cruise was not working. so i did a bunch of research and that is when i found out about the relays and the fuse box going bad. So i popped the hood and switched out the relays and the blower started to work. After i got the heat going is when the truck started to backfire and lose power. Was a long shot but was hoping to hear that the fuse box could cause the problem i am having. really hope that it does not turn out to be the cam!

·
Registered
482 Posts
it is possible that it is your fuse box but it could be a lot of things , I don't think it s the cam? fix the things that you know are wrong and go from their.

where is the exhaust leak

1 - 7 of 7 Posts