RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Per the Land Rover website the oil from the factory is Castrol Edge full synthetic.

Castrol has been Land Rover’s official lubricant technology partner for over 11 years supplying Land Rover dealers with dedicated Castrol Professional oils.
Castrol EDGE™ Professional is exclusively recommended by Land Rover.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,683 Posts
Some folks have moved over to Castrol Edge Platinum. The main difference is that the Professional "add on" title means it has a dye in it so the dealership will know if you have been using the correct oil if there is a warranty issue. You can get 6 pack cases of the Professional on the internet for around $60. Or you can call Audi, Mazda, Volvo, BMW, Mini... and I believe VW use the same oil in their newer cars.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
^ is the dye the cause of high sodium in dealer oem castrol professional? If it was flourescein, the lab sample will say admixture of coolant in the oil. I sent a sample of the oem castrol professional to blackstone and it showed a lot of sodium. Hence, I only use castrol edge platinum c/o Walmart. It has identical specs as the professional.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,683 Posts
Don't know what the dye actually is. That's interesting about the high sodium. Have you ran a sample of the platinum through blackstone?

I've seen on a few forums folks are not bending over for dealer oil service or buying the professional for changes in between the 15K mile schedule. With Platinum being their choice. Most DIY folks on rigs this new do their homework. it has often been said that warranty work can not not be denied for not purchasing manufacturer exact spec oil if the oil used meets or exceeds the base specifications.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just used Ravenol full synthetic . Meets the oil spec per the 2016 owners manual as I remember. My car was out of warranty so I wasn’t going to use the Castrol . Many other RR owners are using Mobil One as an alternative as I remember during my investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
After quite a bit of reading, I discovered that not even all dealers use the correct LR specific Castrol oil! I still have warranty for some time, so I wanted to original oil, and couldn't go to my local dealer as they didn't have it. Had to call the next dealer over.

I'll change it every 5-6k, so the little added price isn't a big deal IMO. Worst case scenario $40 extra per change, and i might do it 5 times during my ownership, so $200 for a piece of mind is OK.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,964 Posts
Don't know what the dye actually is. That's interesting about the high sodium. Have you ran a sample of the platinum through blackstone?

I've seen on a few forums folks are not bending over for dealer oil service or buying the professional for changes in between the 15K mile schedule. With Platinum being their choice. Most DIY folks on rigs this new do their homework. it has often been said that warranty work can not not be denied for not purchasing manufacturer exact spec oil if the oil used meets or exceeds the base specifications.
Yup, ran the platinum as well oil sample thru blackstone and sodium numbers went down. Expected numbers seen in the castrol edge platinum. Hence, never going back to oem dealer bulk castrol professional.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

Do you know if there's a difference between the Castro Edge Professional E 0W-20 (for Jaguar & Land Rover) and V 0W-20 (for Volvo)? Seems I can only locate the V 0W-20 in Taiwan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts