RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of an engine oil sump pan gasket replacement and I just want to make sure I didn't miss soemthing. The RAVE shows removal of the trans pan but I didn't see in it how to get to the sump pan under the engine to remove it. Judging by my examination it would appear you need to remove the following things to get to it. Please let me know also if it is possible just to lower the pan just enough to slide a new gasket in there without dropping it completely out or if it's a silicone compound gasket that will need to be beaded around the edge of the pan to seal.

Sub cage and disconnect attached steering linkages
Disconnect the diff case from the left
Pull the axle out from the right
Lower the steering rack
Disconnect the power steering pump
Unbolt the pan from the transmission connection as well as from the lower engine half
Have to have an engine hoist? Since the motor mounts rest on the sub cage?

That's all I can see. Also what would this cost to do at an Indy shop? And is this possible to do without a lift and just jack stands ? Thank you

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
346 Posts
I have only changed said gasket on the BMW engine. It was a paper type gasket. That said - a couple of things.

1) Are you sure it is your oil pan gasket and not another leak?
2) If you drop the subframe you will need to support the engine from above - you can fashion a brace out of wood or buy a brace - then use some strong ratchet straps and/or chains to hold the weight. You could use an engine lift, but they sometimes slowly lower on their own. Do a little searching and you will find plenty of ideas. On many cars people use the Harbor Freight $60 support bar and its included hardware.

I did my engine pull with jack stands and a lift - you just need to make sure you will have the room to drop the pan and do the wrenching looking up on your back - and making sure the car is entirely safe to be under.

One final idea that BMW people do is cut the gasket in two and then install it - using the appropriate RTV at the cut seams.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
20 Posts
1) yes I'm sure it's the gasket i degreased the underside of the engine to locate where the oil sweating is coming from its not a huge leak but the heat in Arizona is making the oil seap through faster than in San Diego.

2) I was pretty sure the engine hoist/ support beam was going to be required when I saw the motor mounts resting on the sub cage.

My last questions are, is this doable at home? And is it cost effective to do it yourself rather than having someone like a Land Rover mechanic do the repair. Everything seems straight forward except for where to attach the chains to the engine and how to pull the front axles out of the lower engine sump.

Thank you for your reply to my post and the useful information

1 - 3 of 3 Posts