Range Rovers Forum banner

Engine Oil Leak: Front end. Valley Gasket?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  ParkerLander 
#1 ·
Hello all!

A little/quick back-story
Proud owner of a '97 4.6 HSE up here in Maine. We bought the truck from an acquaintance a few months back, and spent time doing little things to it (heater core o-rings, wiper motor, etc). Of course as soon as we begin driving it, the truck starts to mark its territory worse than my VW (which is of course pretty impressive to say the least)!
P.O. did headgaskets while he had the truck, engine has ~ 210,000 miles and aside from a hard start after sitting for any length of time (and the already mentioned oil leak), it's stellar!

Now, not knowing what MIGHT be leaking, I picked up new seals for the
Front Cover
Overpressure Valve
Pressure Switch
Oil Cooler Lines
Waterpump
Front Crank Seal

Since there is oil EVERYWHERE now (pretty sure fanbelt + fan + oil spray = mess) I have been unable to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. I currently have everything stripped to the point that the front cover is about to come off, and of course I looked around more and said "i wonder if the leak is coming from the valley gasket.. and then dribbling down everywhere else"

So... looking for some thoughts on that. Is that a likely leak path? Is it possible to replace any of the valley gaskets without pulling the intake?
I'm fairly mechanically inclined, have built (3) engines for my VW corrado, several motorcycles, and have spent the better part of my adult life in/around/under engines of various types, just never played with a pushrod-based V6/8. I have spent many hours already cruising these forums but have not been able to find what I am looking for with any search string combo

Thanks a bunch in advance for any info/assistance you can all send my way!

-Nate

See less See more
#2 ·
No, nobody can tell where the leak was coming from. You should have washed everything down, then ran it to see where the leak was actually coming from.
No, the valley gasket requires removal of the intake, seeing as its also the intake gasket.
As far as them leaking, always possible, but without cleaning it first etc.....

Martin

#3 ·
Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply. I know I should have washed it all down and tried to spot it. tried that earlier, gave it up as a lost cause as I couldn't find any leak path. I did NOT realize the IM gasket was also the valley cover gasket, good to know, thank you! Lack of familiarity with this platform I am guessing will bite me more often than not.

Of course, after posting the original message, I found an old thread discussing the end-rubbers on the valley, and the tendancy of the valve covers to loosen up.

Always an adventure in the garage!
Thanks all for the help now and in the future!

-Nate

#4 ·
Nate,
You can get to the end bolts with a wrench, 13mm IIRC, to see if they are tight. Never had one come loose on me before, but that isn't to say it cant happen! To be honest, I have never really seen too many issues with the valley gaskets on these rigs, and I have wrenched on lots over the years.
Looks like you have the basics covered gasket wise. The pressure relief valves are 19mm x3mm o rings IIRC, and can be a bear to remove from the front cover. I have resorted to putting a self cutting bolt into the cap to remove them before. Then just weld up the hole when it's ready to reinstall. I have a bag of those o rings in the shop if you need them. Some wet and dry on the plunger normally does the trick before putting them back together. While the front cover is off, may I suggest new oil pump gears? Seen here but can be had cheaper
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8979

Martin

#5 ·
That is good to know Martin.

I already have some 19x3 viton rings in the shop, i think it was a bag of 25 from McMaster, thanks for the offer however, much appreciated.

I suppose, while it's apart, i should at least check clearances on the oil pump gears. I would HATE to have it all back together, only to find that the gears are toast. don't mind working on something... hate doing it 2x because I forgot something stupid.

Thanks for the advice.

-Nate

#6 ·
FYI look at my thread "gaskets and such" ....just did them so some cautionary tales. Also I found the valve cover gasket covers not even finger tight. You will need an 8mm 12point 1/4 drive socket (deep well).
You will need to drain the coolant as well. I takes a few hours as quit a bit has to come off.
Worst bolts are the two small bolts that hold in the Kombi valve bracket behind the intake. You'll need to get up on in there to see everything..........

#7 ·
Parker, yours is a Bosch, Nates is a GEMS. A LOT easier to work on anything intake related.
Nate, I would just get the gears mate. Yes you can mic them out, but then wait for a couple of days for new ones...
Remove the screws on the oil pump cover with an impact screwdriver, and check for any scoring. If none, juts replace the gears and pack them with assembly lube, refit the rear cover with a dab of blue thread locker, and call them done. I ALWAYS use an impact screwdriver for them, or they have every chance of screwing the heads up. Phillips bit and a single whack with a mallet normally does the trick.
On my motors, I always replace the relief valve O rings and the oil pump gears, if the cover itself is good.

Martin

#9 ·
The front cover is coming off, so I would certainly hope he'd check the camshaft sensor O ring.....If not, there is your reminder!

Martin

#10 ·
Yup, got the cam sensor o-ring
basically if it was on the front of the engine, I got it... hate taking things apart more than 1x if i can avoid it :)
ordering the oil-pump gears this morn (i love AB... funny thing... they are just a hop skip & jump from germanautoparts where I buy all my VW parts... ground = next day shipping to me)

I'm well versed in impact screwdrivers unfortunately. Vintage Japanese motorcycles... ugh... stripped screw heads galore if you don't use one.

Thanks for all the tips & reminders guys!

-Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.