Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm wrapping up a fairly major service for my '04 L322 including changing the upper timing cover gaskets and the valley pan gasket and a million other things, but when reassembling, I seem to be having trouble getting the darn engine oil dipstick tube back into place. I can get it in the hole, but no matter how I twist or turn it, it seems like the bracket holes don't want to come anywhere close to lining up with those bottom two studs on the passenger side valve cover where they're supposed to go.

I know it's a long shot, but does anybody happen to have any advice or tips/tricks to get that engine oil dipstick lined up correctly? Maybe even some photos of what their tube looks like as it snakes down the engine bay? That would be extremely helpful... It seems like it was really difficult to get out, but went back in pretty easily. Not sure if this because I'm not threading it through the engine bay correctly or if it's just because the washer and o-ring were holding it down when I was trying to remove it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, never mind. I think I got it figured out. I must have just bent the bracket when removing the dipstick tube because after some "forceful manipulation", it lines up perfectly again. All is well, and I'm hoping to get everything pieced back together today... finally. Just hoping I took enough pictures with my phone to figure out where all the wiring goes! :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
I see you got it. I was going to say Thant you probably bent it. The metal seems soft and easily bent. I have to believe it was by design to make it easier to align with the two cover stud nuts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I got it. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, now I have to undo it again... I thought I checked and doubled checked everything on that bank, then when I went to put the coil packs back on, I realized I pinched the grounding strap in the valve cover gasket. I'm especially upset because it was so easy to put that passenger side cover on with the intake manifold and fuel rail removed. Now, it's a pain in the rear to try to wedge it in there. I may just take the fuel rail and electrical boxes off again so that I can get the valve cover in easier. :p

·
Registered
389 Posts
It shouldn't be a big job. The electrical box pulls right off after removing the two nuts holding it to the fuel rail. No need to remove each clip to the fuel injectors, just pull it up in one firm motion hold each end of the box.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
525 Posts
Yes, I got it. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, now I have to undo it again... I thought I checked and doubled checked everything on that bank, then when I went to put the coil packs back on, I realized I pinched the grounding strap in the valve cover gasket. I'm especially upset because it was so easy to put that passenger side cover on with the intake manifold and fuel rail removed. Now, it's a pain in the rear to try to wedge it in there. I may just take the fuel rail and electrical boxes off again so that I can get the valve cover in easier. :p
I recently learned a trick from a friend on installing the VC's with new gaskets. Use a zip tie on each corner, lay the VC on the head, ensure everything is in place, then just cut the zip ties and gently pull away. I just used this procedure this past weekend and took me about 30seconds to install each VC. I used to really sweat that as the gasket would drop down.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
It shouldn't be a big job. The electrical box pulls right off after removing the two nuts holding it to the fuel rail. No need to remove each clip to the fuel injectors, just pull it up in one firm motion hold each end of the box.
Every time I try to do that I end up breaking the injector wire off.. super annoying, any tips besides "Pull straight back"?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
525 Posts
I just pulled my injector boxes off last month. just grabbing each end with a very short very quick jerk, just as Wayne stated, came right off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.