RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 4.6 Petrol RR 200,000 Km well cared for. The car runs perfectly 99 percent of the time, starts good. Can drive long distances and smooth engine and everything normal. Now if I go out bush here in Australia around bumpy tracks the engine is smooth and no missing. But sometimes after a bumpy session (moderate bumpy) I will be driving along going home and the engine feels like it is hungering for fuel and loses power. If you accelerate it is normal but once you sit on a steady speed it continues to feel like the filter is blocked and coughs a bit and sometimes a slight popping sound like the timing is out. I have no trouble when out beach driving or normal road driving. If I park the car when I come home and take it out later all is normal. It seems to be at the 70-100 kmh that it does it after bumpy bush tracks. My wife said it seems to happen if I splash through puddles (shallow) but there is no missing until back on the road and steady driving. I have wondered if the crank sensor would be affected by mud but they are made to handle this kind of thing. I have done the basics and changed the plugs, leads and fuel filter and cleaned the map air sensor. The car doesn't do this all the time but just now and then and when it does it is only after bumping around in the bush on the way home. I get home and the next time I drive the car no problems. Is there a mesh filter anywhere in the fuel line as another 4x4 I had did have one and fixed a similar problem when I cleaned it. Normal highway at 110 kmh I never have a problem. All leads are fixed firmly and checked all basic things. When this problem occurs if you accelerate slowly it feels like loss of fuel or the feeling that the timing is not advancing and will increase speed but not smoothly. If you stop it idles smooth and if you rev the engine it is smooth so only at steady speed do you notice it.
So what could be effected by bumping around rough tracks keeping in mind that the problem starts after a few minutes of driving on the road again and is less noticeable when we get back to around the 60 kmh speed near where we live. Is there only the filter near the chassis rail or is there another hiding somewhere. Thanks for your help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts