RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2010 RR Sport 5.0 supercharged. With some problems.

Question is: Are there any interlocks, that would keep the engine from turning?

When I bought it, it would barely run, I believe a fuel injector is sticking open. It would idle very rough and make very very bad gas fumes. Then the starter died. New starter, it blew the 400A Mega Fuse trying to crank, the engine would not turn, I would just hear the starter engage, but no cranking, starter was hot. Horrible Gas fumes after I had tried to start. Drained the oil and it was very thin and smelled like gas. Feel very confident it has a fuel injector stuck open.

I pulled all the spark plugs, thinking I might have had a hydraulic lock in one cylinder. I pulled the fuel pump fuse and bypassed the mega fuse, tried to start and did not turn. (I quickly pulled the start relay to keep from burning up the new starter).

Anyhow, I loosened the supercharger and accessory belts and tried to turn the crank manually with a wrench. I could only get about 10 degrees rotation in either direction. All accessories turn free.

Besides some really bad news, is there anything that could be locking the engine from turning? Parking brake applied, etc? Thanks.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts
Sounds like jumped timing. If you can not turn the crank then Physically the engine is locked. With the plugs out the engine should turn pretty easily since there is no compression. If you have interference at that amount of rotation then more than likely the piston is hitting a valve. You might be able to see it with a Bore Scope through the plug holes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought I should be able to reverse the rotation a little more than I am getting. I get like 10 degrees CW then 10 degrees CCW, and so on. It seems like I have a serious problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts