RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm gutted the sale of a classic fell through today as the seller forgot to mention it was rotten! cost me £400 for nothing anyway.

I'm looking at 2 different land rovers in my price range on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 611wt_1138

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 594wt_1138

I prefer the look of the RR but it's got 178k on the clock and the disco is a bit more expensive. So in your opinions which will be better at an every day truck and also be up for a bit of green lane stuff? What's the average life expectancy of a RR engine?

cheers

-Tom-

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
can't vouch for those particular rigs, but my 4.6 P38 has 203k miles on it and still drives fine. Engine has never been opened up, still original injectors etc. :thumb:

Martin

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers.

I do like the RR more it looks awesome but i don't want to buy a lemon :snooty: Just called the guy selling it and he has said that it runs great on petrol but runs a bit lumpy on LPG. He's taking it for a long run tomorrow to see if it clears the problem up... serious problems?

-Tom-

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Never ran LPG when I lived there mate, so not a clue. I have read though that there are some truly stupid LPG conversions running around, or stumbling around as the case may be... :lol:

Martin

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
3 door? :lol: If it really were a 3 door it would be a very interesting Disco.

My P38 went through engine rebuild at 160K miles. THis was only die to a shattered set of oil pump gears seizing the engine. When I tore it down the only item to be worn was the camshaft. Everything was nice and clean with almost no wear. I had dropped the crank off to be turned and balanced. THey called back with a chuckle and said it was in better shape than they could have returned it. I kjonw of a few P38s in the area with over 200K miles and still going strong with only proper maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's wrong with a 3 door? is that bad

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Looks like it's a single point install because of the cracked air box. Beware of porous blocks that happens more quickly than on fuel only engines

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
They have 3 door (called a 2 door here) Disco's back home Carl.... :thumb:
In fact I had one, along with #188 Range Rover "2 door" too. 3.5 manual with twin SU's :D
Dont know where you get not up my street MrTom, as this is my other toy.... :thumb:
[attachment=0:18mza78h]on-truck3.jpg[/attachment:18mza78h]

Martin

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
MrTom said:
THere would be nothing wrong with a 3 door except that it looks like a 5 door that is pictured. I am always leary of postings that can't even describe he vehicle accurately.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
MrTom said:
THere would be nothing wrong with a 3 door except that it looks like a 5 door that is pictured. I am always leary of postings that can't even describe he vehicle accurately.
No rear side doors Carl.... :lol:
Look carefully, no door handles mate!

Martin

·
Administrator
27,819 Posts
Well I'll be danged. It really is a 3 door, I didn;t expand the pics large enough without my glasses on. I'd love to have a 3 door over here jsut for the sake of something different.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
8~ I'm new to all this so please correct me if I'm wrong (gotta start somewhere)

leftlanetruckin said:
They have 3 door (called a 2 door here) Disco's back home Carl.... :thumb:
In fact I had one, along with #188 Range Rover "2 door" too. 3.5 manual with twin SU's :D
Dont know where you get not up my street MrTom, as this is my other toy.... :thumb:
[attachment=0:3c68intc]on-truck3.jpg[/attachment:3c68intc]

Martin
That has to be the most awesome truck ever makes this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

look like a shopping trolley :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
Well I'll be danged. It really is a 3 door, I didn;t expand the pics large enough without my glasses on. I'd love to have a 3 door over here jsut for the sake of something different.
Does your eyesight get worse in a manner directly related to wine intake ? Mine does..... 8-0= The 3 door Disco's are a bit of a favourite here as they are easy to "Bobtail" and also dont suffer the corrosion problems of the 5 door ones.(In the wheel arches.) I dont think you have the TDI 2.5 diesel we had,not sure they would have had "sufficient" output for the US market.BUT they are capable of very hard work with poor care compared to the v8's - I run a 96my auto Disco with only 172,000miles on it.The engine runs like new,using no oil or coolant,which is why I spent 3 days welding a complete new floor in the back of it.its just too useful to throw away.The old classic RR my wife drove for several years had 216,00 miles on it with just a head gasket at 72,000.I recently had a deal to buy the engine back to use in an 88" SIII,the clock now reads 242,000.I'll put a new timing belt on it and use it.
Sorry to dribble on,but these couple of examples show why I'm so fed up with P38's - so few last a decent mileage,my examples are commonplace amongst TDI powered LR's,the Rover V8 as a 3.5 could do the same - as a 3.9,4.0,4.2 or 4.6 it is a dodgy lottery.I'm not even going to mention the 2.5 DSE......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
allyv8 said:
rrtoadhall said:
Does your eyesight get worse in a manner directly related to wine intake ? Mine does..... 8-0= The 3 door Disco's are a bit of a favourite here as they are easy to "Bobtail" and also dont suffer the corrosion problems of the 5 door ones.(In the wheel arches.) I dont think you have the TDI 2.5 diesel we had,not sure they would have had "sufficient" output for the US market.BUT they are capable of very hard work with poor care compared to the v8's - I run a 96my auto Disco with only 172,000miles on it.The engine runs like new,using no oil or coolant,which is why I spent 3 days welding a complete new floor in the back of it.its just too useful to throw away.The old classic RR my wife drove for several years had 216,00 miles on it with just a head gasket at 72,000.I recently had a deal to buy the engine back to use in an 88" SIII,the clock now reads 242,000.I'll put a new timing belt on it and use it.
Sorry to dribble on,but these couple of examples show why I'm so fed up with P38's - so few last a decent mileage,my examples are commonplace amongst TDI powered LR's,the Rover V8 as a 3.5 could do the same - as a 3.9,4.0,4.2 or 4.6 it is a dodgy lottery.I'm not even going to mention the 2.5 DSE......
So you're saying the 93 LAND ROVER Discovery 200 Tdi would be a safe bet for my first LR? :p

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
More so than a P38,none of them are going to be as cheap as a front wheel drive eurocrate tho.Just take along someone who can recognise a tarted up heap,rust is the main issue,mechanical repairs can be low cost as so many used parts are available.If its not too rusty have a go - use it properly,as a 4wd and for towing,it wont be a race car but it will work hard for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
allyv8 said:
More so than a P38,none of them are going to be as cheap as a front wheel drive eurocrate tho.Just take along someone who can recognise a tarted up heap,rust is the main issue,mechanical repairs can be low cost as so many used parts are available.If its not too rusty have a go - use it properly,as a 4wd and for towing,it wont be a race car but it will work hard for you.
Well I'd really like to have a go at green laning if that 2.5 would be up for it?

If it hasn't gone I will call first thing and maybe purchase my first LR :dance:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts