RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Range Rover HSE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may have put the wrong grade oil in my 95 RR Classic. I changed the oil recently and put in a new filter and some 10W30 and now the engine has a slight knocking or tapping noise coming from the bottom. It only sounds when in iddle but as soon as i speed up it either goes away or I just can't hear it because of the exterior noise i suppose.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
What filter did you use? If you used a Fram or other budget filter the drainback valve in the filter dosnt work causing the noise. Also 20w50 Valvoline VR1 in summer 10w30 Valvolin VR1 in the winter
Read here
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=40253
which filter are we supposed to use? my truck has slight knocking and it had never suffered from oil starvation, thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Any decent quality filter Wix, Napa Gold, Car Quest, Purolator One filters, Genuine LR oil filters, Britpart filters, you catch my drift. Ive personally had great luck with the Wix, Napa Gold, and Car Quest filters. Frame filters and other low quality filters have terrible drainback valves whick causes alot of valvetrain racket on start up.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
There are some purists that swear by LR proper filters or high end filters with a one way valve to reduce oil drainback. In reality if you have a resonably tight engine with a proper operating oil pump this is not at all necessary. If your rig is high mileage and getting a bit tired then a filter with one way valve and a higher weight oil will give some benefit until a rebuild lands in your lap. Keep in mind that could be another 100K miles, but you get the general idea.

Side note; some budget filter do suffer from filament degredation, loose filaments or some bypass of oil that is not filtered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
Any decent quality filter Wix, Napa Gold, Car Quest, Purolator One filters, Genuine LR oil filters, Britpart filters, you catch my drift. Ive personally had great luck with the Wix, Napa Gold, and Car Quest filters. Frame filters and other low quality filters have terrible drainback valves whick causes alot of valvetrain racket on start up.
ok, i always thought Fram was a decent filter :?

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
LebaneseShowoff said:
Doctor Leo said:

Coming directly from GP engineer that dsigns filter for them.

They use terrible drianback valves, and the filters as Carl said clog quickly and cause the filter to by pass, they use a cheap filter materal thats to fine. Also the paper retainer is designed to only last 3 months before it comes apart.

Land Rover filters are good, but if you dont want to wait for the filter the Wix is every bit as good.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Doctor Leo said:
LebaneseShowoff said:
[quote="Doctor Leo":37cj4zp7]Any decent quality filter Wix, Napa Gold, Car Quest, Purolator One filters, Genuine LR oil filters, Britpart filters, you catch my drift. Ive personally had great luck with the Wix, Napa Gold, and Car Quest filters. Frame filters and other low quality filters have terrible drainback valves whick causes alot of valvetrain racket on start up.

Coming directly from GP engineer that dsigns filter for them.

They use terrible drianback valves, and the filters as Carl said clog quickly and cause the filter to by pass, they use a cheap filter materal thats to fine. Also the paper retainer is designed to only last 3 months before it comes apart.

Land Rover filters are good, but if you dont want to wait for the filter the Wix is every bit as good.[/quote:37cj4zp7]

WIX is the brand I could not remember. Easily available off the shelf at NAPA and usually the same price as Fram or Bosch when you can catch them on sale. I happen to buy them as I order in my P38 pollen filters as WIX from NAPA at much cheaper than LR or LR suppliers.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Wix branded filters are avalible at O'reilly Auto Parts. If you set up a jobber account there (takes 5mins tops) you can get Wix oil filters for $7 and airfilters for $11. Also get Valvoline VR1 for $4.00qt so get a jobber account it saves you a good bit.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
rover4x4 said:
NAPA GOLD 1452 and Rotella, that 10w30 is to thin for a Rover V8

Not in the winter. Thats why I said 20w50 in the summer. 10w30 in the winter. Not all folks expirence a mild 60' winter.

VR1 is a perfect match for the Rover V8. Its high zinc, low detergent, has friction modifiers in it and its cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
emendoz1

For what it's worth... and coming from a self-professed technophobe when it comes to automotive repair, is it possible that the sound is the Cat Converters rattling (knocking). It certainly fooled more than a few "mechanics" in my neighborhood when the noise first began. Lucky for me I'm a procrastinator or I would have replaced the entire engine.

Further, I find the information provided by many of the experienced and knowledgeable members invaluable and informative. Thanks to those who provide all their expertise from those of us who know bubkis and are trying to learn. :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts