RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have had this problem with my Rover since I got him about a year ago. While idling, he creates this knocking sound that is very prominent. Once the engine is warm, the sound is not as noticeable. Also, when you accelerate the knocking gets higher pitched and harder to hear.

If you have any comments for a solution would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pulaski

·
Banned
0 Posts
it would be nice to hear it on video,i had the same knock for two years,it got louder over time,untill it ran out of steam,on taking heads off,nearside head gasket,had a 1/2 inch gap,leaking into inlet manifold,on no 5 cylinder,under neath ,into where pushrod s are ,hence the knocking sound,by looking into oil filler cap,could hear a shushing sound as well? might not be what iv,e had,just thought i would mention my experiance,good luck

·
Registered
770 Posts
Head gasket failures normally sound more like a lawn mower if blown inwards, ( remove oil cap, look for pressure) , or a steam train when outwards,, the fact his changes with acceleration, plus 2 yrs without the engine blowing up, I’m more inclined to think possible exhaust manifold blow or crack, if not as wooly mentioned, tappet side of things, possible follower or rocker shaft problem..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts