RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's starting to get to me now. I have a bit of a bad knocking sound with my engine (V8 M62). I also have the dieseling vanos so it's not that. On cold start up my engine knocks loud like I've drained all of the oil out of it which last 2-3 seconds.Then the knocking sounds like rod knock. I can only hear it at idle, if I pick up the revs past 1500 it goes. The knock is about 2 or 3 times a second. My cars had a bit of a hard life in the past. It's been seriously off roaded and submerged.
Should I worry? I seem to remember some tsb about knocking but I can't find it. I don't know wether to let it keep me awake at night or just forget about it till it spins a bearing or something. It's had this noise since i've owned it 20,000 miles or so. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse. What do you think all?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Is the oil pressure okay at idle? What weight oil do you use?
How many miles have you put on it since you've noticed?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5W30 oil.... put about 15 to 20k on it since I noticed and it hasn't got any worse. I haven't checked oil pressure as I don't have the equipment. Maybe this should be the next thing to check.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Some might say to try a slightly heavier oil, but from your description it doesn't sound like that's it.
I know the "heavy"-ness of the knocking is subjective, but to me a heavy knock would make me think of the connecting rods, or main bearings. But if it goes away pretty soon after starting, I'd think it could be an oil blockage. Have you tried using an oil additive to clean the oil passages? Something like Seafoam, or other reputable brand of oil additive, or even transmission fluid? Could be sticky lifters.
And you're sure it's not the VANOS rattling on start-up... :think:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
You sure it's the engine and not the water pump on it's way out, or perhaps some other accessory failing?

Have you looked at the accessories while the car is running/knocking... If the fan has any wobble to it, it's the waterpump going on you, sounds just like engine knock too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replys. Yeah it's definatley an engine knock. Not accessory related. I will re-check though. I've listened all over the engine with a wooden dowel to my ear touching it on various places on the engine. I can clearly hear the vanos so I have that problem too but the other deeper knock seems more evident around the crank area. I'm running a bit of Wynns hydraulic tappet cleaner through at the moment (just a mild detergent)
I'm thinking main bearing or con rod related too, but wouldn't it have got a lot worse over 20k?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Locky said:
wouldn't it have got a lot worse over 20k?
You'd think so. But if you've taken meticulous care & it's been well-lubed w/ synthetic oil... Maybe it's just maintaining? Wouldn't make sense, but stranger things have happened. If you could drop your oil pan, you could investigate.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
As you say the noise is coming from the crank/sump area, maybe it is a small end bearing? I had a similar issue with a customer's car but he didn't have the funds for us to actually dig deep enough into the engine to find the problem. One BMW independent I took it to for a second opinion thought it could be a small end bearing allowing the piston to kiss the top of the engine. I'd have to agree with that as it all made sense and the independent had come across the problem with the M62 engine before.

The Wynns product we used made no difference and the noise was very low down and right at the top and it wasn't vanos noise. So really it all pointed towards a small end bearing or similar.

Anyway, the engine sounded more like a tug boat... Best way I can describe the noise at idle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way you describe it sounds exactly like mine Rich. Guess I've got a nice lil project coming up at some point. Sounds like it's coming from bank 1 to me. Think I'll need a bit of enthusiasm for this job.... and an understanding wife.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I have read many such problems written by many. In my case 2003 4.4 Vogue 111,000 miles and put the noise down to big ends, these I changed a week ago and then I find no improvement!................I bought it six months ago and was suspicious as the oil looked thicker than normal.................What we did find on the big end job was a crushed filter, including in the bottom of the housing the plastic base of a previous filter................Anyway as I said no improvement so today 24/06/13 I went back into the filter housing as I had made my mind that the issue related somehow to lack of oil in the filter at start up.

Removed the filter and all looked well..........removed the black spring loaded relief valve that just sits in the bottom as in a black button in description, cleaned it up and tested it........Seemed to be working ok I'll put it back............hold on look down the hole, instead of clean alloy a bit dirty and just to the off centre in the bottom a black line was visible so I touched with a screwdriver, hold on it moved....................Off with the housing and stripped as much as I could blew it threw with the airline........

Three small plastic legs with a bevel on one end and a small piece of black plastic triangular in shape, obviously a bit of crushed filter end blew out onto the bench. It is now to me more than evident these floating pieces and in particular the one I saw sitting off center of the hole base had in fact stopped the plunger body seating into the proper sealed position.

.............The net result was an automatic oil drain from the filter back to the sump........Thus cold start and even warm start 8 out of 10 starts fine with two starts having a rumble........More importantly my next move was going to be vanace units as being suspect..........Would you believe my problem is cured, the engine is quieter in general and is operating at proper oil pressure feed to the top of the engine...............You cannot buy a new plunger valve only a new housing at £240.......but why botther get your housing off and secrvice it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts