RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our new to us 14.5' Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 started making a familiar sound this morning, (after coming back from the dealer to pick up a new tire/rim they owed me mind you)... When letting off the gas I heard that dreaded rattle/slap of the timing chain sound that I had on my 15 Ford Explorer... There is no power loss at all but that dreaded familiar sound/rattle was there when letting off the fuel/skinny peddle after medium to hard throttle-up's moving in-out of traffic. I know these 5.0 Super Charged engines are very sensitive to oil pressure and especially so the variable valve timing actuator/pistons that manipulate the Guide/Arms as they need full-oil pressure to work the timing properly. So I check the oil level via the manual... just as I do weekly... and see that she's about a quart low. I slowly added a quart of Castrol 5w-20 full synthetic and then let her sit for 10 minutes. Then I recheck the oil after a proper warm up cycle again and see that it's at the Max/Level. Took her for a 5 mile test drive and the sound is Far, Far-Less noticeable but is still present there after throttle let off about half the time. She's under Full Warranty (with $500 deductible) at 83K miles so I've scheduled a dealership appointment for early next week... but I pray I don't need (3) new timing chains, (2) actuators, (2) guide arms, water pump. all the seals/gaskets, labor etc... on a vehicle I know has been well maintained because I hate my ride being in anyone else's possession/care. I'd do the work myself if I had the time off work but I don't. So to all of you that have experienced similar issues does it sound like she needs the dreaded aforementioned repair(s)??? Or was she just low on about a quart of oil and need(s) to maybe a quarter to a half a quart more oil for the actuators and VVT arms to full engage/work optimally??? The sound is faint and I doubt most would even hear/recognize it but I'm a car guy like all of us here and I hear it. And yes, I fully know the dangers of adding too much oil and will 100% make sure that certainly Doesn't happen! Thanks in advance guys/gals!

-Ham

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I've started to use 5w30 a while back. It seems to help with any noises.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've started to use 5w30 a while back. It seems to help with any noises.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30
Yeah, the 30 is thicker stuff and Penzoil Ultra Platinum is a great oil... But I think I have a stretched timing chain worst case and will be a warranty fix... Best case, this ride hates QT 93 Premium gasoline and has aggravated the knock sensor... Either way I just reserved an F-150 for a week and am dropping the Rover off at the same Dealership we bought her from after I talk to their tech/mechanics...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the info from the Tech Advisor yesterday... Thank God Almighty that HE is so good to me and my little family. Warranty Company is going to pay for the 32K dollar bill for a totally new JLR crate motor to be installed. In my previous original post I thought the problem was the timing chain... It was a spun rod, camshaft scoring, cylinder wall gouged, and other problems... JLR shop foreman and master mechanic both recommended full engine replacement. Both said that this is NOT a common problem and they have only seen 1 or 2 in all their combined years have this problem. We all believe this problem was initiated and exacerbated by waiting too long in between oil changes and or letting the oil level not being at it's optimal level (full 8 quarts) too many times for too long. Our Rover is in really good shape but I cannot account for the previous owners dedication to maintenance or knowledge thereof! I'm just thankful The Big Guy is making the warranty company pay for this as it's well within the coverage blanket both in regards to time and mileage... as the warranty company certainly has balked, stalled, hemmed, and hawed... and tried to get out of paying for this every way according to their SOP's and tactics.

In the end we'll have a beautiful new to us a 14.5' Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged with a factory new crate Jaguar/Land Rover 5.0 Liter motor with many, many more miles and years of use and service we are very thankful for! I'll be changing the oil and filter myself every 4,000 to 5,000 miles with the proper grade Castrol 5w20 "Professional" when I can obtain that particular type... and a comparable grade for when Castrol "Professional" cannot be sourced. After the first 1K miles on the new engine I'll replace that oil and filter and then start the regular 4-5K maintenance schedule! As the guys here that keep that schedule seem to have overwhelming reports of Rover 5.0 Liter longevity and success...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. As soon as you said timing chain slap sound on a 2014 or newer 5.0 I was thinking poor oil maintenance as a possible cause. They resolved the early chain/guide wear problem by 2013 with the switch to the metal chain guides. A spun bearing would almost have to be a low oil situation that allowed some momentary starvation.
Really glad to hear you’re covered. Even on the cheap with a used engine it’d be a 10k job. Keep us updated on how it goes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Gpplutta .... you are absolutely! This Rover was female owned from all indications and my own observations with everything I found (the little lipstick and hair bands) I found when I got her... Low Oil is exactly what happened if I'm a betting man. That won't be a problem from here on out! We'll start out with a fresh JLR motor that I'll check the oil level 2 times a week at a minimum! I'll post up every chance I get. Thanks for the interest Gpplutta and post!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went to pick up the Rover yesterday. They had the new M133/AJ-V8 motor in her and everything looked clean, and tidy in the engine compartment. No fasteners missing, no bundled wires hanging out, no new dents, dings, or rim rashes... They took very good care of her. They also put over 50 miles on her (with my permission of course), total the last 3 days after the new AJ-V8 to check for leaks and such, and to QA/QC everything and to get her all synced up.

Land Rover North Atlanta is/are the best Repair/Shop and have the most Professional, Honest, and Capable Mechanics and Techs that I've ever experienced... And I'm hard on those kinds of places after a sour taste from years past with "Shops n' Mechanics"... since I was 16 I've never trusted mechanics or shops after being ripped off for false repairs that didn't happen and stolen CD's. So for the last 25 years I've done 90% of all the work on mine and my wife's vehicles from oil changes to swapping in clutches myself until this Rover Engine Replacement with a new JLR Crate Engine. But these guys were 100% honest and the work performed was extremely detailed like the contrast and lines of a renaissance painting of perfection. Matt, their master mechanic who gets all the big jobs I'm told and certainly do believe; said "Everything is purring and communicating just right and the install was smooth from opening the crate that came from Memphis to completion. I picked her up and she drives smoother, pulls harder, sounds throatier, 10-15% more responsive to throttle touch and she's more eager to please! I honestly believe she's better and tuned to a refinement more-so-than when she rolled off the Assembly Line in mid 14'... I've never had a positive experience with such a big job at a dealer or any shop before so we are very God Blessed and Elated for this whole experience. I basically have a new Rover now I truly feel that is good for another 200K+ miles. Thank God too because I've heard nightmares... (Specifically from members here and their accounts), about engine swaps done at the dealer and how it's almost never, ever, or-even 90% as good at best as when leaving the factory assembly line. But in our case mine is far better with the new motor and install than it ever was since we've owned her!

I'll be changing the oil and filter with Castrol Professional 8 quarts @ or before the 1K mile mark as suggested by Matt Land Rover of North Atlanta's Best and most seasoned Master-Mechanic to get any meshing/syncing bits of metal from surface contact and engine break-in and I certainly agree. I'm taking it easy on this new M133 AJ-V8 engine keeping the RPM's below 4,000 until she gets about 500 miles on her and for all the engine contact surfaces a chance to polish and hone themselves. Then I'll be changing the oil myself at every 4,500 mile intervals or slightly before. Here she is after I brought her home after another 25+ miles vetting her after yesterdays pick up and consultation with Matt and Jayson my go to service advisor.

To anyone in the North Atlanta Area... I can't say enough good things about Land Rover Service and Repair Shop. They are a 10 out of 10 and I can fully recommend them with confidence for any service, repair, and warranty issues. These guys went to bat for us against "Easy Care Warranty" company. These dirtbags tried to deny the claim by stating they think that the slung rod was a pre-existing condition they strongly suspected... Their words, not mine. Me and the wife and all the Mechanics and Service Advisors laughed at Easy Care's reps and it got really heated. But in the end God's blessings prevailed and the right thing was done. $32,000 later we have our "Dream-Car" back in our garage. Land Rover North Atlanta is a class act that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty for their customers and vehicle owners against s#itty warranty scum bags and liars. Enough, said, now to the pics!

Its so nice to get a real vehicle back with a real engine! LRNA was nice enough to loan me a Discovery with a 4 cylinder trash engine with a slush box 9 speed tranny. Damned thing almost got me killed twice trying to take a left turn with plenty of time from oncoming traffic. But it would take 2 seconds from a firm throttle push until the Discovery would actually move. That problem has been remedied now though with the return of the Rover Sport 5.0L Supercharged with the new crate JLR Engine... thank you Jesus!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting your experience. I am thrilled that it worked out for you. Keep us updated over the next 1-2K.
@stemikel

I really appreciate the well wishes from you! I went to work (46 mile round trip) today and she did great. I managed to keep her @ 4,000 Revs but its so **** hard when she just wants to accelerate/sling shot off like a Black Arabian Mare itching for her slot gate to spring open on her favorite track! Even at the lower RPM's I can tell a 10%+ increase in torque over the last engine had when I bought and when she was running right. When I get her broken in and over the 500 mile mark I'm going to just let her do what she wants to do.

We are taking a trip to the family mountain home this weekend from North Atlanta to Highlands North Carolina... about a 110 miles each way that will make for a nice road trip test vetting and will put half the break in miles desired I'm looking forward to the final 15 miles that snake up from the starting foot hills to over 4,300 feet going up @ 25 Degree Grades plus testing the low end torque.

Have a nice weekend Stemikel and everyone else!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back from the Scottish Hills a.k.a. as Highlands North Carolina... The Rover did very well... Thank You Jesus! She handled the winding roads and the high grades and inclines and declines of the trip with ease. We used the Command Shift function for the road course slolems we traversed up the mountain... going from 800ft to almost 4,000ft at the end of our summit and twisty climb. Even with a semi-oxygen deprived and variable the Supercharger and venerable 5.0Liter engine never missed a beat going from quarter throttle to 80% throttle at times when needed for passing a dump truck. And the brakes were grippy to say the least and for certain when needed and most positively "there" when called upon! The wifey remarked, "This girl handles like a roller coaster... SMOOTH"... was the response she said... "This girl is simply smooth" she stated! To which I replied, yes, she's planted and this throaty V8 with her Supercharger certainly has her "heart back!"

I've checked her oil level 4 times since Matt our Rover Mechanic was nice enough to give us a quart of the Castrol "Professional" to top off that I stuffed and wrapped closed tight into a ZipLock Bag and then surrounded by (3) Farmer's Market Grocery Bags and then into our "Recovery-Bag" that is chocked full of tools, fix-a-flat, lug nut/stripped bolt back-outs, etc... for emergency road-side repairs. Apparently a new engine will use an "Extra-Quart-Or-Two" upon
Engine-Break-In from his experience. It's also the reason I'm changing the oil and filter @ the 800Mile Mark.

We wish a happy week for everyone on this board/forum and God Bless...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ham that is the same engine they carried over to the 2018/19 models as well right? Was it basically just poor maintenance from the previous owner that caused the failure?
I believe you are correct for the 18/19 carry over but someone else with more knowledge will chime in...

Yes, the Shop Foreman that has been turning wrenches for Rover for 30 years listened to her for 3 seconds and said... "Turn it off now please"... The first thing he said was... "Someone, let this baby run too low on oil for too long." This is a spun rod problem!" Sure enough, I authorize the tear-down and it was the #5 rod spun, crank shaft scoring, ruined piston, ring, and cylinder wall damage. The previous owner was a woman who didn't check the oil and went too long between oil changes and service intervals. Which is weird because everyone said everything is tip-top and looks great. The foreman couldn't believe she was a 14.5' model and thought it was a newer model. The master mechanic told me he's been doing major engine work for Rover for 15 years and has never seen a 5.0L "AJ-V8" engine go tits up in this way either. So yeah, I'm confident in saying to you and here it was poor maintenance that made it happened. Rover is actually shipping the old engine back to the UK for Rover to inspect and see what went wrong. I'm sure a full tear down will say poor maintenance is the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts