RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So our new to us 14.5' Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 started making a familiar sound this morning, (after coming back from the dealer to pick up a new tire/rim they owed me mind you)... When letting off the gas I heard that dreaded rattle/slap of the timing chain sound that I had on my 15 Ford Explorer... There is no power loss at all but that dreaded familiar sound/rattle was there when letting off the fuel/skinny peddle after medium to hard throttle-up's moving in-out of traffic. I know these 5.0 Super Charged engines are very sensitive to oil pressure and especially so the variable valve timing actuator/pistons that manipulate the Guide/Arms as they need full-oil pressure to work the timing properly. So I check the oil level via the manual... just as I do weekly... and see that she's about a quart low. I slowly added a quart of Castrol 5w-20 full synthetic and then let her sit for 10 minutes. Then I recheck the oil after a proper warm up cycle again and see that it's at the Max/Level. Took her for a 5 mile test drive and the sound is Far, Far-Less noticeable but is still present there after throttle let off about half the time. She's under Full Warranty (with $500 deductible) at 83K miles so I've scheduled a dealership appointment for early next week... but I pray I don't need (3) new timing chains, (2) actuators, (2) guide arms, water pump. all the seals/gaskets, labor etc... on a vehicle I know has been well maintained because I hate my ride being in anyone else's possession/care. I'd do the work myself if I had the time off work but I don't. So to all of you that have experienced similar issues does it sound like she needs the dreaded aforementioned repair(s)??? Or was she just low on about a quart of oil and need(s) to maybe a quarter to a half a quart more oil for the actuators and VVT arms to full engage/work optimally??? The sound is faint and I doubt most would even hear/recognize it but I'm a car guy like all of us here and I hear it. And yes, I fully know the dangers of adding too much oil and will 100% make sure that certainly Doesn't happen! Thanks in advance guys/gals!

-Ham

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
I've started to use 5w30 a while back. It seems to help with any noises.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've started to use 5w30 a while back. It seems to help with any noises.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30
Yeah, the 30 is thicker stuff and Penzoil Ultra Platinum is a great oil... But I think I have a stretched timing chain worst case and will be a warranty fix... Best case, this ride hates QT 93 Premium gasoline and has aggravated the knock sensor... Either way I just reserved an F-150 for a week and am dropping the Rover off at the same Dealership we bought her from after I talk to their tech/mechanics...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts