RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant sync my key fob. Battery connected and alarm goes off. It seems lock actuators are clicking. I'm wondering if I should have it hooked up to a jump?

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Goes back to your previous thread. You had a weak battery. You made multiple attempts to sync your key with a weak battery and multiple error codes. Now your rig thinks it is stolen. The bouncing locks are due to still having a weak battery or a failing lock. Alarm going off is because you locked with remote and unlocked with key... just a guess?

Everything... EVERYTHING alarm related and starter related is absolutely dependent on having a top notch charging system with a 12+v battery and 14.3+ while charging. ANything less and you have scrambled signals, failed relays/micro switches and end up with a locked BeCM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well actually. I had the battery disconnected for 2 months because I was redoing the top end. When i finally hooked the battery back up. I was able to start her eventhough i got the notorious "gearbox fault" which is a tell tale sign of not having 12V. I shut the engine, super locked and disabled the engine. And have been struggling since. No key fob attempts or resyncing because I didn't super lock her before i disconnected the battery. It seems that my lock actuators won't engage. And I'm hoping that's a 12v issue also. In lieu of knowing I do not have 12vs given the "gearbox fault" message.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Goes back to your previous thread. You had a weak battery. You made multiple attempts to sync your key with a weak battery and multiple error codes. Now your rig thinks it is stolen. The bouncing locks are due to still having a weak battery or a failing lock. Alarm going off is because you locked with remote and unlocked with key... just a guess?

Everything... EVERYTHING alarm related and starter related is absolutely dependent on having a top notch charging system with a 12+v battery and 14.3+ while charging. ANything less and you have scrambled signals, failed relays/micro switches and end up with a locked BeCM.
Any thoughts? You think Ima need at least 12+ to get the locks to switch over? One they clock. I'll be able to sync. They just aren't actuating.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
21 Posts
The first thing I would recommend you purchase is a decent multimeter. Personally I prefer Flukes, they are a little pricey, but I am an electronics type tech and I use every function on it and often wish there were more functions. Even a half decent one is better than not having one at all. Having one is absolutely essential for item three on this list of suggestions.
Second once you get the battery fully charged connect a good software/hardware set up that will let you resynch the ECU and BECM. My 96 when I reinstalled the BECM and ECU lost synch (was working when they were shipped back to me after BECM repair) and it would not even turn over. I tried a number of connect battery, ignition on, turn to start type configurations that Scotty suggested even though he told me this would probably not help my problem. I finally ordered and connected RSW Solutions EASUnlockV4 and with in minutes (had to find the right command) had my Rover up and running. It is a very capable software/hardware package that is a lot more cost effective than the testbook. I have never used the testbook so I have idea if EASUnlockV4 will do everything the testbook will do, but it has done everything I needed it to do for less than the cost of having it towed to a rover shop, not to mention whatever they charge to reset the various functions.
Third check out the sticky on electrical testing and if it doesn't pass, post the results in a new thread. There are people on here that will more than likely be able to take a look at the results and tell you exactly what to do to repair the problem. The reason I listed this as the third thing to do instead of the second is that to do the sticky part of it must have the engine running to fully diagnose the problem.
Fourth when posting about a problem please include year, model, engine, transmission, and any other pertinent information. It is always better to list more information than you think is necessary than to not include enough for others to know how to help you. There are differences from year to year and engine to engine that are important. My example about the lost synch is but one example. From what I understand this would not have been a problem a couple of years later as there was a design change.
Anyway, happy hunting, good luck, and keep us posted if you need further help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got her started up and resynced. But I have a few other problem. 1st she runs at high rpm. And I'm not sure I bleed the cooling system. I don't know how.

·
Administrator
27,805 Posts
Please keep thing to one subject per topic. It makes for much easier problem solving. In addition, search and RAVE are your friend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please keep thing to one subject per topic. It makes for much easier problem solving. In addition, search and RAVE are your friend.
Sorry I was a little frantic last night between trying to get the rig started. I wound up being that my TPS was disconnected. Thanks again for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts