RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I believe I need a new motor because a connecting rod broke and punched a hole through the bottom side of the engine block. It's a 2007 Range Rover HSE with 96,000 miles. I purchased the car with 75,000 miles on it back in the fall of 2012 and I'm only the second owner. I do oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles and have regular maintenance performed (I don't let anything go unfixed if it's in need of replacement).

About a month ago I started the truck and attempted to drive to a near by grocery store. After pulling out of my small subdivision, I noticed the car wouldn't accelerate and was making an awful metal-ticking type sound (like metal-on-metal). I then noticed smoke pouring out from underneath the front of the car. I could not see what color it was since it was dark out. I then immediately turned around, drove home, and turned the car of. Total trip time was approximately 5 minutes, total distance was approximately 1 mile.

When I got home and got out of the car, I noticed a dark liquid pouring out of the bottom-center part of the engine compartment. I also saw a trail of dark liquid from my drive home upon re-entering my subdivision.

The next day, I had the car towed to the last independent mechanic shop that worked on the car (in case it was their fault), and when the car was hoisted onto the flat-bed, tons of oil poured out from that same area, in the bottom-center region of the engine compartment.

When the mechanics got around to inspecting the car, they said that a connecting rod had broken inside the motor and punched a hole through the bottom-side of the block, which is probably why I heard that metal-ticking noise and also why liquid, or motor oil, began spilling out the bottom of the engine.

The mechanics said that this type of issue could be cause by not having enough oil in the motor and can also be due to the engine's age. They insisted that, though it's very odd this incident occurred less than 800 miles after they changed the oil, they were extremely thorough and careful, and explained to me their oil changing procedures, which was more complex than I would have imagined (removing old oil and filter, adding new oil and filter, starting car to warm up, driving car, checking oil level again, etc.).

So while I'm trying to figure out what to do next, whether to swap in a used motor or remanufactured long block, or sell the car as is somehow, does anyone know if this is common? I've had two different independent mechanic shops, and a guy from roverparts.com, tell me that Land Rover engines are prone to failing, or at least Range Rover engines. Is this true?

Does anybody have any advice for me? I already tried my auto insurance (Progressive), but they wouldn't cover it since it wasn't a collision or "comprehensive". I've been quoted about $3,500.00 for labor ($100.00 - $120.00 per hour) and estimates range from $15,000.00 to $20,000.00 depending on whether I buy a used motor or remanufactured long block.

Thank you for your time,
Ben

·
Registered
883 Posts
That quote for labor is outrageous! No way in hell does it take 30-35 hours to swap an engine. I paid $1100 in labor to have the engine swapped in my P38, at similar rates.

I've never really heard or read that the newer Jag engines have issues, and I did hours of research before getting an L322. It is true that the Rover V8 (04 and earlier Discovery, and 02 and earlier Range Rover) has issues, but at least for the new ones it's very uncommon.

I would consider this- http://www.roverlandparts.com/2007-2009-range-rover-engine-4-4l-v8---jaguar-type-with-dual-overhead-cams.aspx

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply! Was replacing your engine a clean swap? Or did you have to (or want to) have any other parts replaced?

·
Registered
883 Posts
It actually was a more complicated swap than most. Even though it was a 1998 Range Rover, I don't see why it should cost 3x as much in labor.

The P38 was going from a 1998 gems 4.6 liter V8 to the later Bosch 4.0. So it needed a cam sensor moved IIRC. My mechanic also had to swap the intake over to the new engine, alternator, P/S pump etc.

Out the door, after I paid for tax, coolant, oil, and a few new EAS seals, and 8% sales tax I think I paid $1,200.

·
Banned
177 Posts
changing the engine on a l322 07 is a lot harder than changing a engine on a earlier model more accessories and hoses a little more complicated as to why it happened this usually happens when oil is not changed on time or maybe you didnt let the car warm up a little after starting it check out the guys at theroverspot.com they have used parts for the l322 and they should have a engine for a lot less than 15000 good used engines should run around 5500 dollars give them a call they shipp also

·
Registered
883 Posts
I'm not denying that it's more complicated, but seriously three times the amount of labor? That's ludicrous.

Think about it, if a shop works on your car for 10 hours (what I paid on the P3
that means one full day for a swap, why in the world would it take 3 full days for just a straight swap? I could see it taking a few more hours, up to 50% longer, not 300% longer...

And 15-20k for an engine? Is the block dipped in gold with solid platinum heads?

This mechanic is trying to take advantage of the OP.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for your input RoverDoc88! I will take a look at your suggestion. Right now I'm really thinking about putting a good used motor and flipping the thing. I really loved this SUV, shoot, I still love it, but I don't know if I'd get another one now. I can't afford one built after Tata Motors took over (2010 and later models?), which was my original plan whenever I got rid of my 2007.

Any idea how much I could get for the car if I sold it to a dismantler or something like that without a running motor?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
One thing I know for certain is that if it were me, I'd never use that mechanic again.
For a failure that catastrophic to happen on an engine of modern design, that's run for nearly 100k miles without breaking is absolutely something that was not done right in maintenance. If they were the last to change the oil, how do they explain the failure of a connecting rod?

With the miles it had under its belt, any latent manufacturing defects, rare as they are nowadays, would have already happened.

Did you look under the engine before turning it back over the the mechanic that did the last service?

Do you have the RR back, or are they still holding it?

How did they find that the block is destroyed, did you see the hole yourself?

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
The AJV8's had issues with oiling from what I gather It is not uncommon to develop knocking, then a spun/seized bearing, followed by a thrown rod, typically on cylinder3.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
The AJV8's had issues with oiling from what I gather It is not uncommon to develop knocking, then a spun/seized bearing, followed by a thrown rod, typically on cylinder3.
If that's the case, isn't LR Jag involved? Are there any recalls or tech services issued?
Where can I find out more about this?
Are there other posts on this (or another) forum with instances and details?
I have a Jag with a V8, and I don't want to run into this.

Can you tell me where I can find more detail on this known problem?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
I too am interested in hearing more about this "common AJV8 failure". I researched L322s for a friend recently and I have kept a very close eye on this web site for the past 1.5 years. I have only heard of one other AJV8 failure (in a Range Rover Sport HSE), but I don't remember the cause.

As far as I know, the AJV8 has been a fantastic engine after 2001, so every Range Rover with it should be good.

The common engine failure that the parts guy was telling you about, as hjames said, is likely the Rover V8 which hasn't been in a Range since 2002. I wouldn't be surprised if he was also referring to the L322s with the BMW engines (03-05) as I have read plenty of motor troubles in those on this site.

Lesson of the day: roll it into a tree next time there's engine smoke :)

·
Banned
177 Posts
Thanks for your input RoverDoc88! I will take a look at your suggestion. Right now I'm really thinking about putting a good used motor and flipping the thing. I really loved this SUV, shoot, I still love it, but I don't know if I'd get another one now. I can't afford one built after Tata Motors took over (2010 and later models?), which was my original plan whenever I got rid of my 2007.

Any idea how much I could get for the car if I sold it to a dismantler or something like that without a running motor?
they are really good engines the only reason for this type of failure that i have seen has been due to owners denieing to change there motor oil for 15+ thousand miles other than that i dont see why it would have happened did you for anyreason go between different types of oil it is common that some owners start to use syntethic oil in these engines then take it to a different mechanic and the mechanic goes by what the manufacturer recomends witch is regular motor oil in those engines and they dont know that you have been using syntethic if you dont inform them

as to the price of the car with a bad motor it would be worth around 10 k for a rover with a bad motor

hope The Rover Spot can help you find a good used motor for a affordable price so you can be enjoying your rangie again i have a 2006 SC with 227k miles on the oe motor still runs strong (knock on wood) :)

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
How can it be worth $10k with a blown motor that is not rebuildable?
And if the OP can't do the work himself, it is certainly not a candidate for "flipping".
If that is the shops price, and they are in a captured market, thats what it is. And to compare a MKIII to a P38 is unreal, a LOT more involved than a P38, and I know all about those as well as owning a MkIII.
Book value in GOOD condition is $17k. So I see nowhere near $10k myself. A used engine is a big crapshoot, so it would, IMHO, get a used motor and then go through the motor before installation. Add another $1500-2000 to the motor price. Then labor and all the bits and pieces.
I'd buy it, but for no where near $10k, and do the job myself after sourcing a good motor etc.
A spun bearing (normal cause for rod failure) can be due to many things. An injector or cup leaking into the cylinder, low oil or oil pressure, coolant leaking into the cylinder, etc. Been there and done that unfortunately. There are also some mystery reasons, like with a LSx I tinkered with. For no reason a rod split into 3 pieces. Iron block so it didnt go through, but an aluminum block would be a coffee table right now had that been the case....

Martin

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I agree with leftlane. When I was in the market recently, I saw HSE's needing maintenance with around 100-120k for 10,000. I saw one that just looked tired (stained carpets, dings, etc) for 8400 at a dealer. If the rest of the truck is MINT, she's still worth much less than 10,000 I'm afraid. Just normal repairs on these are fairly expensive. I would hazard to say that at least 95 percent of the range rover buying population will run from this.

The only real option is to fix it, or take a huge loss :(

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
So ddillinger, what is a fair price to all parties for this particular rig then, in your opinion?
I haven't been looking like you have, so have little idea myself. I do know that anyone that would pay $10k for it needs to stop by my place for a couple of hours, and leave promptly with all their purchases though.....lol
Sorry OP, you are faced with the age old dilemma of where you want to take the hit. Take it now and walk away, or take it later and keep fingers crossed that nothing else goes wrong.
Sorry for your bank account either way, but the offer stands if you choose to sell as is.

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I have yet to see any AJV8 engine failures(mechanical failure, not replaced for another reason - porous block, internal noise, and many issues when they were new, mostly caught before purchase) that wasn't caused by either running out of oil or coolant.

I would be very curious to know the cause of failure. Were any repairs recently performed other than the oil change?

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
On something like this where the value as it sits is so uncertain and the repair costs mirror or exceed the value of the car, you may want to look into donating it, declaring its value at an aggressive figure and taking the tax deduction. I can feel the heart ache this must be causing you.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
So ddillinger, what is a fair price to all parties for this particular rig then, in your opinion?

Martin
I would obviously have to see it, but I personally would feel comfortable saying my offer would be 4-7000 should I be in the market. Like I said, I paid 9500 for my supercharged 06 needing a transmission late last year.

This is based on a lot of factors, not the least of which is my ability to do the work myself, and having a spare replacement engine sitting here-lol

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I was thinking around the same figure, so that is reassuring
as far as a hefty tax deduction goes, I dont see it. The organization that receives it states value IIRC. not the person donating stuff....

Martin

1 - 20 of 39 Posts