RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have question. Is it possible to replace 1995Hse engine ECU with ECU from 1997 car?
Do you have to reprogram it to work with BCM or is it simple swap?
Thanks
Jerry

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The GEMS engine ecu can be set for 4.0 or 4.6 by means of the computer. After installation in the car the engine ecu needs to be synchronised with the BECM to avoid that the imobiliser comes into action the first time you start up.
If you have the imobiliser option in the becm disabled all should work without any need to synchronise.

regards

Jos

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jos
All what I need to know is if I buy new ECU from newer car can I use Audiologik to program this ECU to my BCEM ?
And is it this possible to do with Audiologic ?

Regards

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Autologic will do the job. You do need a GEMS unit for a GEMS vehicle, the later Thor/Bosch/Motronic 5.2.1 model from 99-02 is different.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
What I'm after is to use 1997 ECU on my 1995 HSE . So I can use oxygen sensors as my car did not come with them in 1995 in Australia.
I think if I use 1997 ECU this year Australien models start to use oxygen sensors I will be able to run them on my car which is 1995 but all the oxygen sensor looms are in my 1995 car.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I think this can be done with 1997 ECU and my BCEM.
Regards
Jerry
Australia

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
FSO said:
Thanks guys.
What I'm after is to use 1997 ECU on my 1995 HSE . So I can use oxygen sensors as my car did not come with them in 1995 in Australia.
I think if I use 1997 ECU this year Australien models start to use oxygen sensors I will be able to run them on my car which is 1995 but all the oxygen sensor looms are in my 1995 car.
Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I think this can be done with 1997 ECU and my BCEM.
Regards
Jerry
Australia
I'm sure it can be done, but I don't think you even need to swap the ECU's.
In Europe (and US as well probably), 1995 cars also have O2 sensors, so you can just reprogram your existing ECU to accept input from the sensors.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Escape is right, you don't need to change the ECU, just configure it to ROW from Middle East/Australia and it should be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys.
When you say reprogram ECU how do you do that?I have access to Audiologic and when I plug my car to it I can not change nothing when I go to ECU it show two types of oxygen sensors one show 0volts and the another 5 volts and when I clik on it I can not change nothing. Ok maybe I do not know how to use this Audiologic and this is the problem.
If you could tell me what to look for and how to do it I maybe able to do that change.
I can look at all the things by useing Audiologic like BCEM I can go toengine ECU and reset ,check air suspension and reset all the faults but not to change settings in engine ECU.
Any help will be welcome.
with regards
Jerry
Australia

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I think it is possible as I thought of doing the same thing the security code is one thing the more complex problem -as has been stated - is the o2 sensors and their wiring looms, the titania o2 sensors changed plug styles black to grey (see pics and their comments for dates). Just be wary that you dont get an ecu that uses the zirconia types (this maybe the transition to the bosch engine/ecu) as these use 5 volts as opposed to the titania's which create up to 1.2volts ish...iirc please someone correct me if i'm wrong.

just to be clear the two photos show the two styles of titania (0-1.2volts) type 02 sensors not the much later zirconia (5 volts)

hopes this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
just read your last post FSO - Audiologic may show the options to change but if the ecu is from a 97 spec it could not possibly control the much later 5 volt zirconia type these are totally different in circuitry and principle to the ecus that use titania's. the titania's create the voltage which the ecu "listens/monitors", the ecu of a zirconia type outputs 5 volts to the sensor and then "listens" for the fluctuations that is my understanding of the two types, audiologic is probably preventing the change on the ecu because it knows it not a valid one.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Bit of confusion here,ALL the Gems closed loop motors run 5-0v Titania sensors,its just the plug that changed.Bosch controlled Thor engines were the ones that used 0-1v Zirconia sensors.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
titianias can be 0-1volt or 0-5 volts, i stand corrected on the zirconias they are only 0-1volt, also the titania sensor don't create voltage as i had stated they change their resistance, anyway i have a screenshot of obd realtime i did last week as i was trying to make sense of long and short term fuel trim, this shows the real time voltages - this is in closed loop and flip every couple of seconds, apologies for any confusion mine (4.6hse 1995 uk) shows a voltage of 0-1.2volts.

Could it be that the plug change also is the change to a 5 volt sensor?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
LarryS said:
titianias can be 0-1volt or 0-5 volts, i stand corrected on the zirconias they are only 0-1volt, also the titania sensor don't create voltage as i had stated they change their resistance, anyway i have a screenshot of obd realtime i did last week as i was trying to make sense of long and short term fuel trim, this shows the real time voltages - this is in closed loop and flip every couple of seconds, apologies for any confusion mine (4.6hse 1995 uk) shows a voltage of 0-1.2volts.

Could it be that the plug change also is the change to a 5 volt sensor?
No,its as I said,your screenshot shows readings from a generic scantool that probably cant be trusted on a LR product.All Gems is 5-0v.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
This is interesting and thank you for that info. So if i were to take the voltage directly it would not show the 0-1.2v fluctuation that the scantool did but would actually show a 0-5 volts flip flop, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
LarryS said:
This is interesting and thank you for that info. So if i were to take the voltage directly it would not show the 0-1.2v fluctuation that the scantool did but would actually show a 0-5 volts flip flop, is that correct?
Yes,if its working properly the sensors should switch from 5v,(Lean) down to 0v,(Rich) around once a second,quicker as the engine speeds up.On a scope the 5-0v Titania's give a much nicer trace than the 0-1v Zirconias,and I would guess its easier for the ecu to make good use of the info.

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Thanks for putting me straight on that, i've be a tad confused by the o2 sensors -the vehicle when i got it had an "professionally" done lpg conversion but what had been done just didnt seem right, the right hand side (drivers) o2 sensors had been cut and moved to the lpg ecu, this to my mind left the engine ecu completely without that important feedback, ive since completely removed it and reattached the sensors back to their correct place vastly improving mpg and emissions and removing 100 odd kilograms.

back on topic it would appear that any ecu up to the bosch model -not counting the security issue- could be used without problem

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was talking to someone on the weekend who was trying to do the same thing. He had been informed that the early australian cars had a GEMS Ecu that had been specially programmed for use without the oxygen sensors. He had plugged it into testbook and tried to change the Oxygen sensor parameter but it was greyed out and unavailable.

I'm wondering whether they had chipsets (fuel/ignition) with special maps for no oxygen sensors that meant that O2 sensors could not be used at all, hence the greyed out option on testbook.

Stu

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Guys.
Stu you maybe right this cars maybe set with special ECU and oxygen sensors can not be turn on?
But the another think is can the ECU be changed with ECU from 1997 car which run oxygen sensors and can this " new "
ECU be synchronize with existing BCEM?
Becouse I can get " new
1997 ECU from car with oxygen sensors either from Australia or Japan.
And thanks for the explanation of types of oxygen sensors I was always sure the RR use sensors 0-5 Volts but thanks for clearing the misunderstanding.
With regardas
Jerry
Australia

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Japan had 2 sensors on both sides, 1 in front of cat and 1 behind so Im would say ECU and wiring harnes is different
Aus (at a guess) would have had one sensor each side in front of cats and hence a different wiring harness

I've worked on a Jap spec 4.6 and noted the 4 sensors

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for this info.So I have to get ECU from Australian model with only to sensors?
And them can exchange the ECU and program to work with my BCEM?
Can I get ECU from England? Do they have only 2 sensors or 4?
Thanks for info.
With regards
Jerry
Australia

1 - 20 of 25 Posts