RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2016 Range Rover ATB about 3 weeks ago. A couple of days ago, while driving in slow stop/go traffic, we think my wife accidentally hit the left paddle shifter(shift down) and continued to push the car in the lower gear (likely stayed in 2nd). After reaching home, very upset, she rang me up and highlighted that car stuck in a gear and that engine sounded very loud and horrible consistently, even when car was idling. She had to stop on the side of the road, turn off and then restart the car, then things got back to normal. There was no warning sign and engine was operating at normal temperature (temp needle in the middle). Also, I've since disabled paddle shifters when driving in D (my wife never going to drive in S)

Since then, she's noticing (she's the primary driver) and then I noticed too, that while idling or in low gears, there's almost "drone" like sound coming from the engine. We took it over to the Land Rover service shop and they deduced that "it's normal" for these cars and that "the engine is broken in from th factory" and "there should be no concern".

We bought it with may be 12 miles on it so now the car has slightly over 500 miles on it. I drove again this morning and noticed dronny sound, it's very subtle but as you pay attention to it, it's annoying. Again, at idle and in first and second gears.

I'm going to drive another RR with v8 5.0L supercharged engine and see if it sounds th same. This is our first Land Rover so I wanted to ask you if this is indeed normal and are we super paranoid??? Should I just get the oil changed now??Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Well, if you think your wife over-revved the engine with an automatic gearbox by downshifting with no match, no worry, as this is impossible with an automatic. You also have a monster V8 under that hood, deep exhaust notes are normal and may come off as intermittent drone, but triditional drone comes from mostly modded exhaust systems and presents itself at steady highway speeds. I think your fine and chasing a phantom induced in your mind.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if you think your wife over-revved the engine with an automatic gearbox by downshifting with no match, no worry, as this is impossible with an automatic. You also have a monster V8 under that hood, deep exhaust notes are normal and may come off as intermittent drone, but triditional drone comes from mostly modded exhaust systems and presents itself at steady highway speeds. I think your fine and chasing a phantom induced in your mind.
Thanks guys!

Yet to clarify, the drone sound comes from the engine, not exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Normal. We have a BIG engine ... it sounds like a hum/fan sound at slow speeds ... you can't expect it to make no noise at all!

As a woman, I'm sad your wife will never drive in "S" ... the car comes to life at 85+ mph and S mode! I picked the RR for myself because of the V8 engine and luxury ride :cool:.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I reread this today, I was sick the past two days, so wasn't in the best condition this morning when answering.

Anyway, it sounds like the OP is saying his wife kept pushing the car back into second, over and over again.

Fortunately, with an auto box, even in sport mode, if you hit redline, the transmission will shift automatically, no matter what. You cannot override that. The only exception to this is a true double-cluth trasmission where you can redline and even hit the rev limiter. But a DCT cannot downshift and overrev the engine. You can only do this with a manual transmission, and it's called a money shift. Because once you overrev, you're buying a new engine. The engine blows immediately and it's very ugly.

Anyway, the OP's wife looks to have put it into second, drove to redline, then it shifted automatically to third, then got spooked somehow, then slowed, downshifted to 2nd again, but it was slow enough to allow a rev match, and the transmission went into second gear again.

Now, I could imagine if you did this over, and over, and over again, the sounds etc. would be pretty exhausting. If I did this, I would cry too. As for engine damage though, likely none at all. But definitely a very strange thing to do if this is what happened.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This forum is amazing. Thanks so much for everyone to pitch in. I'm convinced now that it's normal (and so as my wife) - personally drove it a couple of times since....we were chasing the phantoms ...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Normal. We have a BIG engine ... it sounds like a hum/fan sound at slow speeds ... you can't expect it to make no noise at all!

As a woman, I'm sad your wife will never drive in "S" ... the car comes to life at 85+ mph and S mode! I picked the RR for myself because of the V8 engine and luxury ride :cool:.
I really do love your posts Mdx :)

By the way, to get out of paddle shift mode all you have to do is switch from drive to neutral to drive, or hold up shift on the right paddle shifter.

And no, you don't need to change the oil. Just change it at 12'000 miles as normal.

By the way, the sound you are likely hearing is the supercharger. It's actually very quiet on our vehicles as far as superchargers go, but still can be heard at idle.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She's just getting used to it now let's see.

I've gotta admit...for the first time yesterday, I drove it up to 110mph...boy it was rock solid stable. My wife didn't believe we were going that fast. I'm falling in love with it again and again, every day :D!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really do love your posts Mdx :)

By the way, to get out of paddle shift mode all you have to do is switch from drive to neutral to drive, or hold up shift on the right paddle shifter.

And no, you don't need to change the oil. Just change it at 12'000 miles as normal.

By the way, the sound you are likely hearing is the supercharger. It's actually very quiet on our vehicles as far as superchargers go, but still can be heard at idle.
Great to know. However, I get first oil change on my new cars after 2K miles...planning on it yet agreed no need to do it right now. Many thanks for the tips and the input.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Status update:

Got oil changed post 2K miles break in...boy, we can hear and feel the difference. It leaps forward sublimely and drone engine noise is completely gone. Very happy I did this...I always get oil changed after break in of my new cars regardless of recommendation, and it worked!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
On the 2016 L494 one can set the Transmission so that the Paddles will only work when the "Sport" position is selected, I know the 405 is a rotary selector but you may have the same option? This prevents the paddles from being used accidentally.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it's got that option too. I've set it up like that for my wife after the incident..

·
Banned
901 Posts
We bought our 2016 Range Rover ATB about 3 weeks ago. A couple of days ago, while driving in slow stop/go traffic, we think my wife accidentally hit the left paddle shifter(shift down) and continued to push the car in the lower gear (likely stayed in 2nd). After reaching home, very upset, she rang me up and highlighted that car stuck in a gear and that engine sounded very loud and horrible consistently, even when car was idling. She had to stop on the side of the road, turn off and then restart the car, then things got back to normal. There was no warning sign and engine was operating at normal temperature (temp needle in the middle). Also, I've since disabled paddle shifters when driving in D (my wife never going to drive in S)

Since then, she's noticing (she's the primary driver) and then I noticed too, that while idling or in low gears, there's almost "drone" like sound coming from the engine. We took it over to the Land Rover service shop and they deduced that "it's normal" for these cars and that "the engine is broken in from th factory" and "there should be no concern".

We bought it with may be 12 miles on it so now the car has slightly over 500 miles on it. I drove again this morning and noticed dronny sound, it's very subtle but as you pay attention to it, it's annoying. Again, at idle and in first and second gears.

I'm going to drive another RR with v8 5.0L supercharged engine and see if it sounds th same. This is our first Land Rover so I wanted to ask you if this is indeed normal and are we super paranoid??? Should I just get the oil changed now??Thanks for the help!
cant reply on mobile anymore without quotes with the new ads sorry about long op quote.

i have a different answer. change your oil. yeah i know its every 15k miles or whatever but the first oil change should be around 500-1000miles imo since there are likely shavings. as an aside i would go with a normal 5-10k oil change interval. and i would also check oil level every month or two.

also people on jaguar forums say the engine isnt broken in and i would agree assume it isnt change the break in oil.

edit just re read later posts. glad ur issue is resolved and congrats on the new truck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks much Cliff. Loving it, yet having issues checking oil. Tried it after driving, sometimes after a couple of hours. Put car in battery mode, click on the "service menu", then click on the "oil level" and it shows me this "engine oil level: not available".

Am I not following correct procedure? image.jpg

·
Registered
354 Posts
did you leave it for 10 minutes before you started the measurement. As the process you described worked for me, but I noted the 10 minute delay in the manual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts