RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Completely new to P38. I'm used to Series and Classic Range Rovers, so please be patient! I've never even sat in a working P38 so I've no idea what it should be doing...
1996 Diesel P38. Left-hand drive, and I'm in Norway.

Someone broke a rear quarter-light, tried to steal the car.
It has now gone into lock-down...
The fault messages are hard to read, as the backlight has packed in, but:
EAS Fault. This is known about, not really a problem at the moment. It was in EAS fault mode before...
Key Code Locked
Slow 55KPH... I assume this is because of the EAS Fault...?
Window Not Set This goes away when the door is shut, so I assume isn't a problem...?
Engine disabled
Press remote or enter keycode. Tried pressing the remote, didn't seem to help...
Enter keycode, from what I've read on here, the turn the key to enter a code method of waking the thing up. Don't have the code, but I assume my local LR guys can get it.

I've tried disconnecting the battery, wait ten minutes, put key in position 2 and reconnect battery. Still disabled. Soft click from under the right hand front seat when I try to crank, nothing more. Well, lots of beeps...EAS control button (the one with four LED's, is flashing, but I'm not fussed about that so far. I think with the info. on here I can fix the EAS.

Lights on the dash are: ABS, and one of the car with an 'up' arrow under it. Handbrake, Battery, and Oil, but I expect those. Air-con panel seems to work as it should, autobox gear indicator lights up. No check engine light.

Local LR guys tried to 'plug it in' but got no communication with the BECM. Tried Nanocom, same problem. That could be as simple as dirty contacts on the plug, I'll spray contact cleaner on it tomorrow and see if that helps.
However: If I can get the Nanocom to talk to the car, can I then reset the thing and make it start, or do I need the dedicated reader that the LR guys have? If the dedicated reader does get in contact with the BECM, will they be able to fix it, or does the BECM have to off to be re-booted?
Or should I just scrap the thing and get another Classic :)
TIA
Iain

·
Registered
97 Posts
Key Code Lockout will go away after the battery has been reconnected for 10 minutes on a '96, 30 minutes on a later car. After that it will show Engine Disabled, press remote or enter code. If the remote isn't synced, which it won't be as you disconnected the battery, you'll need to enter the EKA code which you don't have. So, until you can get the EKA code from Land Rover, you aren't going anywhere. A Nanocom may allow you to enter the EKA code directly but it depends on the version of software in the BeCM, you can't do it on the very early cars.

Disconnecting the battery and leaving it for minutes, days or even years, whether the key is in position 2, 1 , off or in your pocket, will not reset anything other than cause you to have to reset the windows, sunroof and re-sync the keyfobs. If the engine was immobilised when you disconnected the battery, it still will be when you reconnect it. You do need to get the OBD socket cleaned up and working as a Nanocom will make life much easier when you do get it working with the other things. If cleaning the socket doesn't work, there are two multiway connector behind the front kick panels that also corrode and cause problems.

Having owned a Classic and 3 P38's, once it's working you'll never want to go back to a Classic. They may be a pain at times but they are addictive.

·
Registered
768 Posts
As imonly says, you need the eka code from LR dealer, hopefully your door latch is ok, it has micro switches which are known to wear out.
While your sitting there playing, take the binnacle and clocks off and replace the 3 bulbs in the display, do not turn ignition on with the clocks out or your airbag light will come on.
To set the windows, down all the way, up all the way and hold,,,same with sunroof

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay guys, thanks for that. It's not dead then, just in a coma! I'll see about the EKA code tomorrow, spray some electronic cleaner on the plug(s) and see if I can get it back to life. It owes me nothing, but I hate to scrap a car...any car...
Chris, you say 'take the binnacle off' like it was a five-minute job...looked at the appropriate page (on here), not so simple :) I can do it, but it's a couple of hours! Should manage to set the windows, though :)
Imonly, so far I've had several Classics, love them As said above, no clue about P38, but to be honest, I hope I don't get addicted...I don't like electronics, they don't like me!
Cheers,
Iain

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, I've just had 'engine disabled' on mine Street a flat battery. Took me ages to figure out out, but eventually got there! What worked for me...
Close the drivers door, put the key in the lock then press and hold the lock button on the key and turn the key to the lock position. Hold it there until the light on the fob stops flashing completely. Repeat with unlock. That resynced the key for me and everything was back to normal. I didn't need to Mes with the eka code. Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hi, I've just had 'engine disabled' on mine Street a flat battery. Took me ages to figure out out, but eventually got there! What worked for me...
Close the drivers door, put the key in the lock then press and hold the lock button on the key and turn the key to the lock position. Hold it there until the light on the fob stops flashing completely. Repeat with unlock. That resynced the key for me and everything was back to normal. I didn't need to Mes with the eka code. Hope that helps
What you've actually done there Nevstah is re-sync the key fob to the vehicle. Even on late ones, if Passive Immobilisation is disabled you can't sync it any other way

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all!
Got it running, got it home :)
Remote working again as well!
Just the EAS fault to fix, but I'll need to fit a new OBD socket, this one has rotted away :-( Still, that's an easy fix, I'm happy it's home where I can do a bit more :)
Thanks again,
Iain

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks all!
Got it running, got it home :)
Remote working again as well!
Just the EAS fault to fix, but I'll need to fit a new OBD socket, this one has rotted away :-( Still, that's an easy fix, I'm happy it's home where I can do a bit more :)
Thanks again,
Iain
How did you get it going? EKA code or ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aye, EKA code, suddenly central locking and everything else just did as it should :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts