RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another worrying time. Just filled up at Sainsbury's in Newbury and the car wont lock when I go to pay. Okay, no problem, I can see the car, I'll worry about it when I get back.
Get back to the car and the display tells me "engine immobilised" ****!!
After trying to lock and unlock, which it wont do, I try it with the key. Absolutely fine, but I still get the "engine immobilised" message and it isn't starting!!
Had a similar thing happen to me once at a Tesco store, so I go to the kiosk and ask for the manager. He's never had a car display this problem before, but agrees to turn off the cameras, wireless link to the store and the mobile blocker.
Still nothing!! I'm getting worried by this stage, to say the least.
I'm then resigned to calling out a breakdown vehicle, when a lorry driver comes over who's mate's loading a cherry picker on a flat bed truck using the lorries crane.
Guess what? The crane is controlled via a remote link from a controller around his neck!!
Turned the controller off and she started as if nothing was wrong in the first place.
These babies certainly have a way of scaring us sometimes....

Oh and before anyone suggests getting the later receiver, I already have it :thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've tried that several times at various petrolstations here in Denmark - some weeks ago at the local MOT - now that was not very funny - but I got the car running again - have gotten used to the fact that sometimes it just has a mins of its own...Grrrrrr

Even tried that I could not lock the car with the remote - one in France Everything "went on strike".... thank God for strong legs and back so I could push the car.... :shock:

I've come to the conclusion, that a P38 is just like woman: "co-workning most of the time".

·
Registered
931 Posts
Happened to me at a petrol station as well.Except I could not get it going,even after having it flat bedded home.Had to have the BECM unlocked and reset by callrova before it ran again.Local Independant wanted to replace the BECM :!:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Me to at a carpark on an industrial estate, there was a mobile phone transmitter right next to the carpark.

The way I got round it was to place the key right up against the right rear side window and press lock and unlock again, after half an hour of saying "Engine Immobilised" it burst into life.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Petrol station too. Just didn't want to start. Pushed the car a couple of meters and it just did.

The spot probably had a lot of noises.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've ended up disconnecting the aerial to the receiver. Still locks and unlocks from around the car okay, but not from a distance away.
Lets hope this is last time I'll suffer that little problem again :pray:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I bought a "new" RF unit and still got problems. I was told on here how to recognise the latest type, and found that my "new" one wasn't the latest. You have to open the plastic case to see the internals as there are no external diferences. There are pictures on one of my threads showing the inside of the three different types.Since fitting the replacement I have had no problems to date.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the new receiver about 7 months back from Roger Young LR, it came in a sealed bag with the new part number on it, so it had better be the latest....Can't remember what the part number is now.....

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cornishman said:
I bought the new receiver about 7 months back from Roger Young LR, it came in a sealed bag with the new part number on it, so it had better be the latest....Can't remember what the part number is now.....

The latest one has a part number that starts with a "Y" and mine came in a box bearing that number! The only way to know is to open it and look.

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Mine does the "Engine Disabled" thing all the time if I leave it unattended, unlocked and key removed for more than about a minute. To re-enable, turn the key to 2nd position and hit the lock button on the key fob.

Am I missing something?

Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
931 Posts
PaulP38A said:
Mine does the "Engine Disabled" thing all the time if I leave it unattended, unlocked and key removed for more than about a minute. To re-enable, turn the key to 2nd position and hit the lock button on the key fob.

Am I missing something?

Cheers, Paul.
Paul,you must have Auto immobilisation set in your BECM.(ie immobiliser automatically arms after a certain period if key is out of ignition) :thumb:

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
Thanks John, I don't consider it a bad thing just an extra safety precaution. I'll whip out the FaultMate on the weekend and check what the setting is.
Cheers, Paul.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My recent experience in the same matter:

During an Exploration trip to Estonia last weekend, in the middle of the forest I got "Engine disabled - press remote". I tried to do all the things learned with pressing the "open" button on the remote while the key in the lock and turned to "unlock" position. Tried the same thing in the ignition key switch, but nothing seemed to help. I tried both my keys that I usually bring on long trips and none of them seemed to be connected with the car. If it all had happened in the city I would not have been so surprised but in the middle of forest it felt really worrying.
Finally I connected my Faultmate and as I started up the Vehicle server and car went into Diagnostic mode I heard the central lock clicked and then I could start the car. I could see with the Faultmate when reading Fault codes: "Radio code received."

As of now I must admit that I have lost a bit of confidence in the car and I feel worried every time I will start the car. I keep on thinking if I from now need to bring my Faultmate and laptop wherever I go with the car...
When searching the forum for information in this matter I have not seen anyone have used a Faultmate (or any diagnostic system) to get the key to reconnect with the car, so I start to think that maybe it was just a pure coincidence?

Are there any way to actually disconnect or disable this whole function, like hardwire or something so the engine module always receive the start order mechanically when turning the key in the ignition switch? (I am not really worried about anyone steeling the car since it is difficult enough to get the car going with the key `) )

Regards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts