RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go, i have had the engine disabled message for two days now, i have tried every tatic possible from research to overcome it with no avail.

The fob never had any fault, light still flashes when you press the key fob, but will not open or lock the range. When i open it with the key all the doors open not just the drivers door. When i try to enter the eka code the indicators do not flash when entering a number in the open position.

Im on my last legs with it now, is there anybody in the coventry area who can come and help me and what sort of cost os the likely to incure.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
63 Posts
just in case this may be it. your wheels are not locked in any specific direction? other than that, i would contact scotty ASAP.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
OKay... I'll bite. What would the direction of the wheels have to do with the engine being disabled? The steering is fully mechanical with no feed back to the BeCM/ECU alarm link.

Stokes, please add your Rover's year and model to you signature.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
A locked steering column, on cars so equipped, can easily be unlocked by simply turning the steering wheel to release the tension. It also will have nothing to do with the "engine disabled" message. It would simply keep the key from turning. Considering the OPs location, and that he has made no mention that the steering is locked or he can;t turn the key I fail to see the connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appologise its a 99 p38. The steering column isnt locked no, its not that. I've been informed that a nanogram can fix it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like you could use a Syncmate. One of my previous rigs had this issue when I bought it. The trucks battery had gone flat and sat for a very long time, along with some other issues, but I ended up buying a Syncmate from Blackbox Solutions to tackle it after I sorted some other issues. Obviously that doesn't give you much help as it would take time to get one, and if you need your truck thats not too comforting.

EKA works great if your system is properly functioning, and you are receiving an alarm fault message. The way I determined that I had lost sync with my BECM was the lack of a check engine light (I think, was one of those engine lights) after I turned the key to the on position. I would attempt to crank, and the BECM was not giving signal for fuel, or spark. I tested the starter, and fuel pump by jumpering at the fuse box, but I also bought the truck in no running condition, and had never seen it run prior to my purchase. Since you know your truck it's safe to say you didn't have two units randomly fail.

From the provided information I would say you have likely lost communication with the BECM, and will require resyncing, and EKA cannot accomplish this, because the code your inputing is falling on deaf ears. Unfortunately this is only part of the solution, because to prevent this issue in the future you need to identify what caused this fault to begin with.

I'm going on a limb here, but the fact that your key is unlocking all of your doors with exception to your drivers door could indicate a faulted Drivers door handle. Does your drives door open from the inside, or anything? The way I read your situation I am imagining the door doesn't open, and has super locked. If it does open the unit could still be the culprit, but I am surprised that the other doors respond to the key since the drivers door doesn't.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
OP has sorted it now.
Cause was a combination of RF interference blocking fob signals and confusing BECM together with a potentially defective lock microswitch (not yet tested).
Back on the road by pushing car a bit up the street. Locked. Unlocked. Started!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thats crazy, but awesome he was able to get on the road without too much pain.
It's one of "those" P38 things that sometimes happens when an early RF receiver (MK 1 or 2) is combined with a strong RF emitter from Fire Station, Hospital and the like, or even overhead/ underground high voltage distribution systems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts