RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just popped over from the p38 forum, done a search and another, a friends has a 2006 3.0 diesel sport and it can be fine for a couple of weeks then when he goes for full power to overtake something his engine cuts out and dies, managment light come on, stops engine and starts again then no problem for a week or so, the dealer has had it in the workshop a couple of times and no faults are stored, this is not just anoying it is down right dangerous

He has now taken it to another dealer and still no faults are stored or can be found, filters of course have been changed also fuel pump.

So we were wondering if any of you Sport owners have came across this and found a fix, i myself would stamp my feet and shout for a fault to be found before someone is killed but its not my car

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
Back to work EEE!!

Sounds like it might be the EPF - Engine Particulate Filter which has been known to clog up on diesels.

Just sayin'

:D :D

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
725 Posts
a friends has a 2006 3.0 diesel sport and it can be fine for a couple of weeks then when he goes for full power to overtake something his engine cuts out and dies, managment light come on, stops engine and starts again then no problem for a week or so, the dealer has had it in the workshop a couple of times and no faults are stored, this is not just anoying it is down right dangerous
As mentioned as far as engines go this site being US is primarily focused on petrol engines. Good for all other aspects though,;-). The mentioned UK RRS is the site to go or even better is the D3/D4/RRS section of AULRO.Com

Though there are a few diesel people here though.

It is hard to pick what might be the issue but one thing it can be and is easy to check is the Manifold Air Pressure sensor on top of the engine. The engine sucks in a lot of exhaust gases through the EGRs on overrun and this clogs up the inlet manifold with a thick greasy black goo that lines every thing including the MAP sensor.

The logic goes that when you apply accelerator the ECU is expecting a certain change in the inlet manifold pressure and it does not get it due to a clogged sensor the engine shuts down - restart, resets everything until the next time.

If you take the engine cover off you can see the large Y shaped inlet plastic manifold in the engine valley. The MAP sensor is at the back near the oil filter and easily comes out - just treat it with kid gloves. Clean it up with carby cleaner but DO NOT poke anything down the little hole as it will kill the sensor.

May not be the issue - there should be codes - but is easy to check.

Also you friend should get his EGRs blanked as they will stop the greasy goo forming.

Garry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts