RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just got my Range Rover two days ago. The previous owner had a house by the sea and when I open the hood there is a lot of sand in there, just resting on the surface of the engine and the car's body under the hood. I was wondering how one should cleanup that area? I can't just hose it down can I? Any suggestions?

The Rover went to the dealer for a full service before being given to me so I know that it has gone through service but I was wondering if there is anything in general I should know about the engine in this model (2003 HSE). Any tips on how to maintain it? Any recommendations? (I'm not planning on taking it to the Land Rover dealership so that is why I'm asking).

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
879 Posts
If it's just loose dirt, I usually use compressed air. Water used with discretion should not hurt anything either. By discretion, I mean don't blast it at the electrical connections or electronics box on the right side of the engine bay. Everything is sealed, but you can never be sure the PO didn't damage a connector at some point.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
423 Posts
Nick, as you're in the US, I'm presuming it's a gasoline engine, which would make it a variant of the BMW M62 motor.

I've had BMWs with that motor, and depending upon mileage, the valley pan gasket, intake manifold gaskets, coolant recovery tank, radiator, VANOS guides and OSV (oil separator valve) are all weak points on the motor. The motor itself, pistons, crank shaft, valves, block, are all pretty bullet proof, but the pieces I mentioned frankly sucked in their execution.

Beside this board, which is great, you can also find a ton off information on bimmerboard.com/e38. That's for the 7 series from '95 - 01 that had essentially the same motor.

If I sound like I'm bad mouthing BMWs, I'm not. I've continuously owned BMWs from 1976 to today, and as you can see from the signature, I currently have four of them. The 7 just went to a car donation service, and I've not updated my signature.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've jet washed mine loads of times, never had any bother....

As the previous guy said. There pretty good, engine wise... The ones your side of the pond seem to suffer with all the rubber bits on the car, I'd start by checking all your hoses....

Then read, read, read all the forums... This one is good, also try fullfatrr.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts