RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AB sells a genuine LR block heater that lists for around $150. I've just installed a Phillips from O'Reilly (part no. 3100039) that was $22 and is built a little better. For those of you reading this and living in hospitable climes despite the subject line: It's a small electric heater which fits inside the block through a freeze plug opening. You pry out the freeze plug, insert the block heater which has a 110V power cord, and after refilling you can plug it into a wall outlet to keep the engine warm when it's waaaaay too cold out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Like an electric blanket for your car, dont think I need one in Cape Town but the thought of my car being pampered all night long during a cold winter appeals to me

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember my dad had block heaters on his vehicles when I was growing up in South Dakota. They seem to have disappeared over the years with fuel injection. Do you still need them up north?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
No vehicle needs them, but imagine getting into a car that has a warm block
ready to start. It also saves quite a bit of fuel. I use mine 100% of the time where
I have access to 220V socket.
I would prefer a Webasto or Eberspacher.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used them for years. Typical winter here is probably like the land of the Midnight Sun - a few months of -30F at night but warms up to -10 during the day. Electricity is relatively cheap here, so the cost is probably less than $5 US per month to keep it plugged in, and I know I save more than that in gasoline. It sits outside all day at work, but starts just fine without being plugged in. I've had a lot of vehicles over the years, and nothing, absolutely nothing, starts and runs as well as the RR when it's well below zero.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,410 Posts
I have fitted a Webasto heater to my p38 DSE. Works on 240v mains. Has a pump on it and is plumbed into the heater circuit.

I originally had it fitted to a classic which had a 4L Perkins diesel engine and was a pig to start.

My DSE doesn't have a starting problem but in the winter it is nice to flick a switch, go and have breakfast, and then get into a car that is like toast.

Most wear and tear occurs when the engine is cold.

Dave
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts