RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any chance anyone can post some shots of the engine bay, I've got rave etc but I work better with photos as well.

What I need to see is where the pipes go etc, I didn't take them apart and they've been joined together and tied back and some are missing so it would be really handy to see where it all goes!

If it makes any difference it's RHD, and it needs to be the GEMS engine.

MANY THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
john-sussex said:
ear, the brake servo and steering wheel are on the wrong side :lol:
Tis only the ABS pump and modulator that are different location to the RHD, water hose's etc are the same

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lol. Well. To be fair, I purchased mine a few months ago, and certain trim pieces were missing. A I do research and read the forums, I find a piece here or there I need. Lol. Yesterday when the pic of the engine popped up I said to myself. 'missing battery cover!'. That's how

·
Registered
128 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
JHolmes said:
Anyone know where I can het my hand on a battery cover? Mines gone missing
8~ Craigslist, breakers, AB, RN, Scotty

How does one's battery cover go missing? :?
Maybe it's gone to the same place as your Fan cover :?: :D

Sid.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,765 Posts
Not likely, unless he has keys to the gated roads on the Potholes Reserve as well. See, I know exactly where mine is so it's not really missing. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
483 Posts
viperover said:
john-sussex said:
ear, the brake servo and steering wheel are on the wrong side :lol:
Tis only the ABS pump and modulator that are different location to the RHD, water hose's etc are the same
It's more than that - can you believe they even go and put the drivers seat on the wrong side?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks RRtoadhall, that helps,

I think I've figured out what was confusing me, and that was that I have extra pipes going to the LPG system which obviously aren't on the RAVE diagram.

The area I could do with a close up shot of is the "top" hose as this is the one that is missing.

As a quick summary I bought the car as a non-runner (overheated) and one cyclinder head and all the intake gubbins where in the boot (is that trunk on the other side of the pond?)

I removed the other head and cleaned it all up.

I'm now at the point where I have put but both cylinder heads on with new head gaskets and bolts - I've also put the push rods and rockers on, and have loosely put the rocker covers on. I was going to do the intake bits in the middle but I appear to be missing the 12 bolts which bolt it down! I'm now at the point where I haven't taken any of this stuff of and am having to guess where some bits go! The rave manual just seems a little vague on most of this - like you're supposed to know what you're doing!

It's all a steep learning curve for me, I have a little engine experience (note the word 'little') and no experience with a V8, but it seemed a good idea at the time! My normal way of working is to take 100's of photos whilst dismantling then refer to them when rebuilding, but obviously it was too late with this one.

If anyone has photos of the dismantling of a V8 then they would be fantastic.

Otherwise there is a bit of wiring harness which has various eyelets on it, looks like the kind of thing you'd have running to the glow plugs on a diesel engine but thinner wire. This was held out of the way - where is it supposed to run?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, think I've got the hoses sorted now, and I managed to find the inlet manifold bolts.

Just one more question:

The manifold gasket has a clamp at each end, the picture in Rave shows the bits in the following order:

Gasket -> Rubber Seal -> Metal Clamp -> Bolt

but the procedure detailed later in the manual seems to be in the order:

Rubber Seal -> Gasket -> Metal Clamp -> Bolt

Which is the correct order?

Also it mentions using loctite superflex black on the 4 notches between cylinder head and block. Not sure which bits it means! and is it neccessary is any other sealant any good? I've got some black silicone somewhere, some instant gasket stuff somewhere and some Blue Hylomar. Any of that any good?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,765 Posts
rubber seal first. it is long and ushaped to wrap the ridge at the end of the block. The valley gasketthen sits on top of the rubber and the metal clamp (ridges up) compress everything with the single bolt to provide a seal.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,765 Posts
Not required... but.... :)

I put some on the mating surfaces for the intake and head just to make sure. I also put some in the "U" of the rubber end seals.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did you use the loctite superflex? Or did you use something else?

I've got some black RTV sealant somewhere so if that will do, would be easier than going and finding some on a Sunday.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,765 Posts
High Temp red RTV for water pumps, intakes, front covers etc. I'd go look at the tube to give you more detail, but I am too dang lazy to get up from the bonfire and walk back to the shop. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fair enough!

I'm tempted to just use the blue hylomar as I know where that is!

I was just reading the hylomar website which gives one of it's (Universal Blue Hylomar) uses as Intake Manifold Gaskets.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Top End all rebuilt now just need to do the water side of things.

Now that it is all put together I thought I'd just spin it over on the starter to make sure it sounded OK, all I got was a disappointing 'click'

Am I right that if it was an immobiliser issue it would bring up an error?

I've got a few errors such as windows & sunroof (got fed up of celaring them each time I replace battery) and ABS error and Airbag error, and the normal traction control MAX 35mph warning, but it's not showing anything engine wise / security wise.

I'm hoping the battery is just not good enough - it's been on charge but it's condition is unknown to me.

I've not connected the coil packs or the spark plugs yet - would it 'know' that? Anything else obvious?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts