RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My p38 v8 4.6hse on petrol/LPG has recently sounded off. Inside I can sense a slow pulsing/shuddering from the engine. It does it on both fuels.
Had a recent incident where the idler pulley bearing broke and the pulley came off, fitted a new one and put the belt back on.
Do any of the other wheels have to be aligned in any special way ?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I would carefully inspect each pulley for free movement, especially your water pump. There is no alignment however there is alot of energy released when a pulley falls off. Also inspect your belt for any nicks, cuts or abrasions as that will also cause noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's has new water pump last year, but I'll check all the pulleys.

It used to purr like a v8.. Now it sort of grumbles. Would this be caused by a misfire , bad coil, leads etc ?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked all pulley wheels and seem OK.

Did notice the fan has 2 blades which have part (about and third) broken off - could that cause this ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Wow. Obviously the shop that replaced your pulley failed to inspect for further damages.

Yes you have most likely found the issue. You may as well get ready to replace your water pump now that you have been driving around like that. The fan out of balance is much like a tyre out of balance. With the fan wobbling around the water pump bearing has been taking the full force of that gyration and transmitting it through the rig.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
447 Posts
That happened to mine at 60mph I was able to replace tension pully at autozone and I had a spare belt with me. It wasn't till
4 months later I had a grrrr sound and later found out it was the alternator front bearing. I think the belt may have taken it out so
give everything a check down the road.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
When you do pull it apart to do the fan, and pump be sure you spend the extra $$$ and buy the "Premium" pump.
The cheep version will last anywhere from 2 months to 2 years, the good one will go 100k miles.
This has been mentioned many times here.
The last 2 Pumps I did on my 2 daily drivers were at 100k and the replacement pumps were made in Spain if memory serves.....NOT China.
Atlantic British on our side of the gulch sells bothversions and the good one is about 100 bucks more.
In your case, I believe the one to avoid is Britpart......

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Bolt is spot on. Rimmers do a genuine LR water pump, an OEM or an aftermarket. Go OEM unless you are made of money and go for the genuine thing at £275 exchange! Alternatively, Island do an Airtex or Britpart at half the price but from my own, and many others, experience, if you get 2,000 miles out of a Britpart, you got a good one.....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
I got 3 years out of a britpart one (didn't realise how bad they were when I first changed it!),

It hadn't failed, but started to see a bit of coolant from the weep hole, so decided to change it before it failed. I went with the Airtex OEM one this time and feel a lot more releived now it's got a proper one in!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts