RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 SE fitted with a rebuilt 4.6 top-hatted engine, dual fuel, repaired EAS valve block - goes brilliantly with lots of torque and I have spent the best part of a year and a fair bit of money fixing many things the PO ignored like central locking, tailgate latches, aircon, radio/CD, seat switches etc. Also just installed a new ABS pump/motor, alternator and starter motor so this truck is well into the "do I keep it" or "sell it" phase.

Now I find the coolant down about 2 litres after a 150k trip and a small amount of emulsified oil in the header tank.

Checked with the Tech support guy at Nulon - very honest company with real integrity - he advised against using their product to fix a potential head gasket leak because he figured with the high compression the seal would not hold for long. My associate at Graeme Cooper Automotive who I trust implicitly advises to take out the radiator and have it pressure tested before considering the far more expensive option of changing head gaskets and straightening/hardening the heads (a $3k job).

He says the oil cooler can leak oil into the radiator but would this cause coolant loss? Anyone else had this problem and can comment please?

Alan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Done some more checking. It IS the oil cooler and not the head gaskets causing the problem. Fortunately, there is no coolant in the sump oil or in the transmission - just oil bleeding into the radiator

Has anyone fixed a leak in that without replacing the entire radiator?

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Just get a new radiator. Repair is a short term fix unless you have it completely rebuilt with new cores and then you are closing on new pricing.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Checked with the Tech support guy at Nulon - very honest company with real integrity - he advised against using their product to fix a potential head gasket leak because he figured with the high compression the seal would not hold for long.

Alan
Just a note, only use head gaskets in a bottle in these cases

a. emergencies

b. when sourcing a replacement engine is much cheaper and less labor intensive than a HG job

c. the vehicle is disposable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts