RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Thor engine ecu has stopped talking to my Hawkeye via OBD and coincidentally my air con has stopped working?

any ideas where to start? I do have a spare ecu but no way to code it so o help!

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
Multiway connector behind the RH kick panel next to the inertia cutoff switch. Wiring to the OBD socket and the AC compressor both run through that connector and it is prone to corrosion if it gets wet.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
You might get away with a squirt of contact cleaner but ideally you chop the connector out and solder jumper cables in. The connector is only there for convenience when the car was built so it isn't going to be needed again. There's a matching one behind the LH kick panel that carries the EAS signals from the ECU to the display and switch on the dash so if the RH one is failing, it might be worth doing the LH one too before it causes problems.

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you know where the engine management ecu wiring to the obd port goes? I’ve fixed those connections and still getting nothing back from the ecu, but other ecus are responding to diagnostics. Car runs ok though....

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
The only additional connection between the engine ECU and the OBD port that the engine ECU uses but none of the others do, is the large round one underneath the coolant header tank.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
If it was not the round connector under the expansion tank (common problem here in the tropics) check the ECUs connections in the black box.

And YES you Hawkeye can resync it. Read out the code from the spare ECU and write it in BECM programming Alarm and security :)

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was not the round connector under the expansion tank (common problem here in the tropics) check the ECUs connections in the black box.

And YES you Hawkeye can resync it. Read out the code from the spare ECU and write it in BECM programming Alarm and security :)
thanks, good to know! Spare ECU packed in my Spares box ready in case!

·
Registered
2000 P38 4.6 HSE
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you know where the engine management ecu wiring to the obd port goes? I’ve fixed those connections and still getting nothing back from the ecu, but other ecus are responding to diagnostics. Car runs ok though....
turns out I repaired the wrong thing! Found another connector that someone had previously repaired (badly) hidden under the carpet in same location and untangled back to its proper location and solder spliced and triple insulated each with heat shrink. Now everything is talking to each other, AC works and EMS lets it’s code be read...

you’re a legend by the way Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts