RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps, i am going to change my big end bearings on my own. i have never done this before. i will post how i got on and anything o think is help ful and maybe some pictures. the process i beleive i am going to use is.

Warm engine up to drain oil
Dosconnect the battery
Empty the oil out
Remove sump (pan)
Remove oil filter
Remove spark plugs to reduce compression
Loosen slightly all the con rod end caps.
Then one at a time undo end and remove that shell remebering how it came out (i believe there are oil ways in the shell, so need to replace in the right position)
Move the piston up a bit to remove the con rod shell (this seems easy, but i am sure its not)
Refit new shells with oil way right and primed with? anyone help??????????.
refit end cap and torq up the right amount(not sure what it is yet any help??
Each time making sure the engine still turns
fit new sump (pan) gasket
New oil filter
Fill up with oil
Job done
Not sure if this is going to work if anyone has got any pointers i would be very interested

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Your list is quite ok. Tightening down must be done carefully with the shells in the right position. There is normally a small lip at the shell that falls into the right spot to prevent the bearing from turning and to get the hole for lub oil lined up properly.

It is best to move the piston to the lowest position , remove the bottom shell and the turn the crankshaft slightly and then back that makes enough clearance to remove the bearingshells. Then push in the new shells in the pistons, turn the cranckshaft back after addin plenty of oil and fit the bottom part of the bearingholder with the new shell While tightening have some one turn the crankshaft slightly and at first signs of jamming stop tightening and investigate.

It is much more difficult to do this job on the v-engine compared to a normal straight line engine because of the two pistonrods and bearingcaps end shells being so close together on one tab of the crankshaft.

Study RAVE carefully and work clean make sure to remove any metal parts of the old bearing shells. The cranckshaft tabs should be nice and smooth and not grooved. If in doubt measure them with micrometer. The center should be the same dimension as the rest.

Good luck

Jos

1 - 2 of 2 Posts