RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all my 2007 gift that keeps giving has dished out another treat - the handbrake cable has snapped to one wheel...

How is the best way to sort this? To access the mechanism it looks like you have to drop the subframe? Is this correct and and you put a new cable in?

Is there a way to remount the mechanism under the subframe or something so if it happens again it’s an easier fix?

Thanks

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
405 Posts
Unfortunately, the park brake module (PBM) will have to be removed to replace the broken cable.

The exhaust* will need to be dropped as well as the rear subframe, along with the removal of both brake rotors and the cable unclipped from the body cavity at the emergency release loop (inside the right rear trunk compartment) and the other intact cable at the hub.

The electrical connector can be a bit fiddly to withdraw - it's easier if you remove the left rear wheel liner.

Take pictures during the dismantle to ensure that all the clips for the cables, as well as the cable "runs" are correct.

The rear subframe will need to be lowered about 2-2.5 inches to allow for the PBM to be removed, after the two TORX attachment bolts are removed along with the electrical connector.

It's not as bad as it sounds IF you have access to a lift and a tall transmission/axle stand or two.

Realistically, it's about three hours work if you take your time.

It's a pain in the *** if you're doing it "on the ground", for obvious reasons.

Rob

*pre-order two new down-pipe gaskets before you drop the exhaust to prevent your exhaust leaking upon refit (re-use of the existing gaskets = leak).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds nasty - any idea how much a new bpm module is so I never need to worry again?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
405 Posts
Rimmer Bros has them for a shade under $700

You could also look for a used one using Part # LR072318 on eBay and elsewhere but it's a lot of work to gamble on a used part if you can afford a new one.

If you're on a really tight budget I may have a good used cable in my collection of formerly replaced PBM's if you let me know which side you need.

You can have it for the cost of the shipping from the DFW area.

Rob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rob that’s kind of you but you he shipping to the UK I’m guessing won’t keep it very cheap can get for £90 and would probably just do the pair and keep the old module that’s my thinking now - lucky we have park in the meantime ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts