RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm still running the original air suspension on my 93 Classic. Lately I've been experiencing some problems, the car is always in the highest possible mode which makes the ride quality terrible and dangerous at higher speeds. Also when I turn off the eninge and close the driver's side door it won't lower/level itself like it used to anymore. The buttons on the console won't change the height either.
This happened after the car sat for a longer period of time in the garage with the battery dead and driver's side rear air spring was fully sagged.
I might as well add that I removed the B2 (interior lights) fuse because the light in the back would stay on after closing the door, could this relate to the fact that the car won't level itself anymore after shutting the door?

Do I have a broken leveling unit or am I overlooking something? Your opinions please!

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Check the various door/tailgate switches. These need to be cleaned/maintained on some frequency, especially if you are parked outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the various door/tailgate switches. These need to be cleaned/maintained on some frequency, especially if you are parked outdoors.

Hey , thanks for commenting, these switches are lubricated with silicon spray but I haven't checked them all except the driver's door. Will check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Upper tailgate switch is a common bugger for lights and anything else tied into the switches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had similar, suspension would raise to the top but do nothing else. There is a small bore pipe from the valve block that feeds a steel tee piece in the inlet to the compressor. The tee was corroded and stopping air passing through the 4mm tube. This stops the diaphragm valve working and doesn't let air out of the system. Take it off and clear the corrosion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I finally had time and decent weather to look into the problem,
Cleaned all the contacts of the doors and tailgate switches w/ contact cleaner, but with no result. the dome light stays on after all the doors are closed. I'm going to replace them all.

It might be related but the front dome light doesn't really work properly either, sometimes when I hook the battery up again the front dome light works like it should but after a while it's only the rear dome light that's still working. Do I also need the change the delay unit/relais perhaps?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys,

Like suggested above I changed all the door and tailgate switches for new ones but without result, the rear dome light won't go out and the front one only occasionally lights up. I've looked a little deeper into the problem and the last possible cause could be the delay unit (PRC9948). They are hard to find and expensive. I'm also not really sure if it's the correct part number for my KA Classic

EAS.jpg

As seen in the thumbnail (number 7) the roverparts catalog notes that delay unit only fits from PA to RA models.
Could this relay be the correct one or do I need to look a other part number to fit my KA classic?

·
Registered
803 Posts
The tail gate switch...(as long as the tail gate is open the interior lights stay on..
At least they do on my 92....and go out when closed
With just the doors open after a time
The lights go out
My 92 has springs so I don’t know
The EAS ...
Does seem the springs are easier to deal with...:devilish:...
And with the light check unit
I changed mine once with disappointing results...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I checked the relay and internally everything looks fine, nothing is burned. Cleaned the pins and socket with contact cleaner and now atleast the dome lights go out after the delay but the air suspension still goes crazy. When I lower the car the ride goes up.

I need to source a new relay but they're hard to find, even land rover UK shipped their last one in 2015

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I checked the relay and internally everything looks fine, nothing is burned. Cleaned the pins and socket with contact cleaner and now atleast the dome lights go out after the delay but the air suspension still goes crazy. When I lower the car the ride goes up.

I need to source a new relay but they're hard to find, even land rover UK shipped their last one in 2015
Try John Craddock spares: johncraddockltd.co.uk, and search for prc9948

I tried to post a link but as a newbie that is restricted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks or the reply, I contacted the website you mentioned weeks ago, although their shop mentions PRC9948 is in stock they don't have one atm.

I'm just about to remove the AMR 2289 suspension height control unit and find a reading tool, just to find out if one of the sensors ight be broken

1 - 11 of 11 Posts