RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: Electrical Troubleshooting (Earth) Again - '97 P38 4.6 HSE

I agree with Jos, leave the existing cables in place. Clean them up. Add the extra cables described

To be really thorough fully charge your battery with a multistage battery charger so it starts at 100%

Once you've done all that run the electrical sticky tests again. Make sure to pass all tests. Your battery voltage with the engine switched off must be more than 12.5v (after being drained for 30 seconds as specified)

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
626 Posts

I has similar issues last year and came to the same conclusion after cleaning all grounds and grounding points multiple times but to no avail. I changed out all the main cables for much heavier gauge cables and added extra grounds along with new heavy duty battery terminals as the original terminals would move no matter how much I tightened them. Increasing the conductor size massively reduced voltage drop and have never had a "Gearbox Fault" issue since.
Also just to note, I crimped my new cables with a heavy gauge crimper that the power company use. Not sure soldering would be a great idea.
photo (5).jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

I got a set of new genuine LR earth leads, and low and behold the 'cut' ends are both crimped AND soldered. I believe the solder is there to seal the exposed cut cable as I notice on my old set that oil vapour has formed in between the copper strands at each end, and this (in theory) could increase resistance as it will act as a partial insulator. I stripped them open and capillary action has done the rest along the entire length.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

Here are photos of my new wiring. First shows the new feed from the alternator to the starter plus additional cable from the alternator direct to the battery.

Second shows the route for the new cable to the starter. Too big to follow the original route, and just hope it can withstand the temperature from the manifold.

Third photo shows the size of the original cable from the alternator to the starter, and the size of the new cable. I decided to cut both ends of the original cables, as the insulation was beginning to breakdown.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Okay. So I've replaced ALL the cables from the alternator to the starter and to the battery, run a cable direct from the + of the alternator to the battery, cleaned ALL the earth connections, installed a new GENUINE earth from the battery to the alternator and points in-between, and I got a GEARBOX FAULT after 25klm. I'm going to install an earth cable from the alternator fixing bolt direct to the battery, and run the sticky again at the weekend. The ONLY thing I haven't done is charge the battery. But as I now have beefy cables everywhere, and clean connections, I can't understand why I still get a fault while driving. So disappointing.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Okay. So I've replaced ALL the cables from the alternator to the starter and to the battery, run a cable direct from the + of the alternator to the battery, cleaned ALL the earth connections, installed a new GENUINE earth from the battery to the alternator and points in-between, and I got a GEARBOX FAULT after 25klm. I'm going to install an earth cable from the alternator fixing bolt direct to the battery, and run the sticky again at the weekend. The ONLY thing I haven't done is charge the battery. But as I now have beefy cables everywhere, and clean connections, I can't understand why I still get a fault while driving. So disappointing.
I can see you were active 2 months ago. Did you ever find this issue 6 years ago?

Could you look at my videos. Did you get similar issues? P38 Gems 1994 - Dashboard errors. Anyone confirm this is...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts