RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It seems my 99 P38 is having some sort of issues.

5 days ago I went out to start the vehicle and engine would not crank when turning the key. Lights would come on. But nothing happens when turning the key. Maybe 30 minutes later after not doing anything to diagnose, it starts right up with no issues. Has been running last 4 days.

This morning, I started it up with no issues. Thankfully, I was just in my driveway when I realized I had zero brakes. I put the vehicle in park and shut it off. When I went to start the P38 again, now, it cranks but won't fire.

I scanned through the Electrical Stickie thread and also read a few threads on BECM but didn't seem to find similar issues.

Any suggestions on what this may be?

·
Registered
174 Posts
The common denominator may be the main relay, or the immobilizer. The no brakes may be a leak at the power brake booster. Did the pedal feel "hard?" Ray

·
Super Moderator
2,312 Posts
More likely cause is the underbonnet fusebox. Intermittent operation of any items can be traced back to the fusebox and the brake problem could be the ABS pump getting no power. Sniff the fusebox and check for any burning smell.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can find related items you mentioned and will update tomorrow.

A couple of updates as well:

1. Seems unrelated but I thought I'd mention I have been struggling with Fuse 9- there's a short somewhere and it keeps blowing the Fuse. Haven't found the problem
2. After about thirty minutes after posting, the car starts up with no brake or other troubles.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
251 Posts
I would 2nd Richard G's comment about the fuse box. Best way to track it down is by measuring the voltages at various locations when you see the problem occurring. I would definitely troubleshoot the issue before you're out on the road and don't have boosted brakes.

Relays and fuses - Up to 99MY
The ABS electrical system has two relays and three
fuses, located in the engine compartment fusebox.
• Relay 2 (yellow) - ABS valve relay.
• Relay 15 (green) - Ignition relay - ABS power.
• Relay 17 (black) - ABS pump relay. Note that
this relay is unique to the ABS system.
• Fuse Maxi 3 (40 Amp) - ABS pump relay.
• Fuse 24 (5 Amp) - ABS ECU - Ignition supply.
• Fuse 27 (30 Amp) - ABS ECU - Battery supply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts