RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm having some crazy issues with my truck. I replace my t-case and all was fine for about a week. Now my cruise doesn't work, and my dash displays the dreaded "Select Neutral" message. If I cross the H-gate into Lo, there are no beeps or anything. Nothing at all happens. Lately I noticed, that if I open a door with the engine running, the temp gauge moves around. And last but not least, tonight I opened the drivers door, and the rear wiper started moving. The switch was in the off position. :?:

Anybody got any clues, as to what's going on?

'96 4.0SE, auto trans

·
Registered
701 Posts
Those are some pretty odd issues :? . Just out of curiosity, does the temp gauge move when the interior lights are turned on or under any other circumstance? Can't help you with the wiper problem, although I have found if I move the rear wiper to the on position and then off, even when the car is off, it will cycle once when I turn the engine on.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Spooky :shock:

Temp gauge> either bad connection at engine or earth problem
Wiper ??
Select neutral >earth problem or message from gearbox feedback switch or ECU
Cruise> earth problem or pipe split

Does your temp guage move around when you put all lights / fans on?

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's showing that the earth cannot handle the power going through it.

Due to a bad earth connection.

Have a look at rave and see which earth point is common to the int. light and temp gauge.
Find the earth point and clean / reconnect

Could be worth while doing the electrical sticky check

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, used RAVE and will clean grounds tonite. Still puzzled on the rear wiper that comes on when you open a door. LOL I guess an easy fix would be to just unplug the motor, but that's last resort.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay,...checked the ground for the temp gauge/interior lights. I tried to test the bolt and see if it was loose, and the thing snapped right off. Ran a heavy gauge ground wire to them so that should solve that problem. As far as the "Select Neutral" message goes,.....I think my shift motor has taken a poop. Checked it with a multimeter at the harness, and got nothing. Connections under the truck were cleaner with electronic parts cleaner, but that didn't help.

·
Registered
649 Posts
BeanBean said:
Yeah if I open the door, or turn on an interior light, the temp gauge moves. Is this a common problem?
Yes, there is a technical bulletin about it.
The earth cable from the engine block to the bodywork has gone high resistance. Change the cable for 'anything' that fits from your local auto accessory store.

You can, if you wish, remove the lugs from the existing cable, clean the strands, and solder or re-crimp, but most people find it easier to buy and fit a new cable.
Either throw the old one away, or clearly mark it as faulty, before someone tries to use it for something else in 5 years time.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts